New guy with a 27 sedan.

moose50

Hi, I recently picked up a 27 DB sedan. The body, which is in pretty good shape, was already removed from the frame. The frame and suspension were taken apart too. The seller had plans for a rat rod, but he got in over his head, and I was in the position to take over and change the plan. Right now all the chassis parts are in my barn so that I can get them restore and paint them. The body is safe from the weather under my barn.

I'm looking for info about this car. The serial number is still visible on the frame above right front spring shackle. A787-446 Found online that it was built some time around the end of September 1926. The only other thing found was on what might be a license plate holder that has the DB logo, and TYPE B.

Attached is a picture of one of the wheels. I don't have any of the rims, and I don't really know where to find any. The outside of the wheel measures 18-1/2". Does this mean that I should be looking for 20" rims, or what? I also am missing one of the rings that that holds the wooden spokes and attaches to the rim. Anybody got any leads? I plan to rebuild the wheels myself.

I have a Fast Four engine(that I bought separately from somebody else) at a rebuilder right now, that I would like to use in this because this sedan came with no drive train.

Something else seemingly strange is that this came with four wheel, internal expanding, mechanical brakes. I've found sites that say they only used rear wheel mechanical brakes in 27? Others had four wheel hydraulic?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Moose

post-74000-143142873171_thumb.jpg

Moose - I believe that I sold that body to the guy you bought it from. The chassis he picked up later. The original motor was a Type C 4 cylinder with a multi-disk clutch. The mounting system changed significantly when they went to the fast 4 so make sure that the chassis he sold you can mount a fast 4. It sounds like the axles might not be original to the frame as that serial number would have had rear brakes only. Jay

Thanks Jay, yeah this guy was named Craig. I don't think he could have or would have been able to sell me a different chassis, all he had were late model 4wd stuff. He just wanted to get it out of his yard.

This is after I put together the puzzle I got from him. Look familiar?

post-74000-143142873308_thumb.jpg

post-86886-143142873463_thumb.jpgI didn't sell him the chassis. Only the body, seats, hood and grill shell. That chassis is not for a fast 4. It has the front cross member that requires the single center ball mount that goes into the front of the engine. The fast four engine uses a 4 point mounting system and the front cross member is very different. Does this body look like yours? Jay

post-86886-143142873433_thumb.jpg

I don't think that's the same one. Did your guy get the engine too? This guy didn't have an engine or anything extra. Just the shell of a body, and the separate frame and suspension. He said that's the way he got it. How long ago did you sell that one?

Moose - I sold it to a guy in your area a little over a year ago. Sold him only the body, seats, hood and grill shell. I know he was chasing a frame that didn't sell on eBay that was also in your area. I saw it advertised on Craigslist earlier this year. Based on the serial number the frame you have is for an early 27 series with the "C" engine. The one I sold was serial number A780xxx putting both of them as a late Sept 26 build but a 27 series vehicle. As I said above you will have problems putting a fast 4 motor in that frame. Here's what a Fast 4 frame looks like. The front crossmember and tranny support mounts are different.

post-86886-14314287352_thumb.jpg

Here is the rear axle that came with this car. Does it look like the right one? The spring pads seem to be too narrow to line up with the springs.

The front seems right, everything lines up nicely and it has internal expanding mechanical brakes with 11" drums. The rear drums and brakes are very similar.

Also, JayG- Do you still have the 21" wheels you were selling on the DB Club site?

Anybody know what size the wheels I have are? The outside of the felloe rings measure 18-1/2". I need one more of the felloe rings for 12 spokes. And what size split rims fit on them?

Thanks again,

Moose

post-74000-143142873904_thumb.jpg

Moose - Here is the correct rear end for your car. Note the brakes. There are 2 sets of shoes. The outer ones are the service brake and the inner are the ebrake. The drum would slip in between them.

I do have the 21" wheels but I may need to take the front hubs for my own use.

post-86886-143142875184_thumb.jpg

post-86886-143142875169_thumb.jpg

post-86886-143142875178_thumb.jpg

Edited by JayG (see edit history)

Jay is right. The rear end he shows is correct. Moose, your rear end is not Dodge and I don't believe the front setup is either, definitely not 1927. The drive line is closed on all 27 and earlier DB's. 1927 and earlier wheels all had 6 lugs (7 on very early cars) to hold the rim to the fello. Yours have 4. Are you positive the engine you bought is a "Fast Four"? How about a pic of it? Does it have the distributor through the head? Both front and rear engine mounts are different on fast fours. There were 3 different series in 1927, with 3 different engines. the 1st two could work with your frame, the last one, fast four, will not. Yours is the 1st, undesignated series, 2nd is 126 series, then lastly the 124 series with the so called "fast four" engine.

Wow! Now I'm getting the real story. I knew something was up... Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this. It really is lacking a lot of original equipment that probably couldn't be replaced easily. May have to go the route of a modified period correct something or other. I'm not ready to give up on it.

With the fast four, I could do some sort of race car I guess.

I don't have any pictures of the engine, but it does have the distributor through the head and five main bearings.

Jay is right. The rear end he shows is correct. Moose, your rear end is not Dodge and I don't believe the front setup is either, definitely not 1927. The drive line is closed on all 27 and earlier DB's. 1927 and earlier wheels all had 6 lugs (7 on very early cars) to hold the rim to the fello. Yours have 4. Are you positive the engine you bought is a "Fast Four"? How about a pic of it? Does it have the distributor through the head? Both front and rear engine mounts are different on fast fours. There were 3 different series in 1927, with 3 different engines. the 1st two could work with your frame, the last one, fast four, will not. Yours is the 1st, undesignated series, 2nd is 126 series, then lastly the 124 series with the so called "fast four" engine.

Moose 50. I feel your pain! You have a good 27 series chassis frame and a sedan body which should go together O.K. but that looks like the Dodge story so far. We have a wealth of experience on this forum and guys who give freely of their knowledge. With luck you will find enough parts to build a period correct car. Maybe you could find another failed project and build one good car out of two parts cars.

There must be a way forward. There are some land speed record holders who have visited this forum in the past who use fast four engines. They are the 'Montana Boys'. Perhaps they could buy yours if you get stuck with it. You could try 'Myers Early Dodge' or 'Romar' to see if they have a suitable 5 bearing 'C' engine. Just a thought . The electrics are '6 volt 2 unit' which means it should have a separate starter and dynamo that go with that engine. Note: the water pump is also unique to that engine. The earlier 3 bearing 'B' engine is far more common and would fit your chassis. Not absolutely period correct but it could be used if a 'C' can't be found.

Best of luck,

Ray.

• 1 month later...

This is what I've been up to. Stripping parts and painting them. Special thanks to JayG, and it was nice to meet you.

Finally got the fast four too. It's in really good shape. Took it by the machine shop, and have been talking with the Montana Dodge Boys about what kind of mods to go for. I'm getting really excited about this whole thing!

post-74000-143142945996_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...