Building an Exhaust for my '57 Buick. Have a few questions....

Guest COMPRESSION

Guest COMPRESSION

I have been restoring (a term I use loosely) my 1957 Buick Super 4-door.

The time for an exhaust system is approaching. My self and a helper (who is very good at exhaust fab) will be hand making the complete system. We have full access to MIG and TIG welders and the other involved tools. I have made a few exhausts for cars in the past, all uni-body, nothing this old...or long! The old exhaust has been completely removed and all that remains is the pipes off of the manifolds (which need replacing).

I wanted to bounce a few questions off the guys:

1. Do you guys use flex sections in your exhaust in order to help isolate the vibrations?

2. What connections do you prefer? stainless steel sleeve type? or traditional 3-bolt flanges?

3. Any tricks I need to know to get the exhaust routed out the rear bumper holes?

4. Any other general advice or tips to doing this?

5. How far back from the manifold should I put the catalytic converters? (joking...)

We will be using "universal" mandrel bend kits from Summit Racing, and also a pre-formed set of over-axle pipes from Summit. Planning on 2.5" tubing, aluminized steel.

Thanks!

I have also bought and installed 2 repros with relative ease (a couple minor issues). That said, if you have the time and tools to do it yourself then go for it! If you aren't worried about making it like original (with 3 mufflers/resonators on each side) and just single muffler on each side then it will be a lot easier. I would prefer the flange connection; especially if you are fabricating yourself as it provides more "slop" for fitment.

If you want the correct look of routing the exhaust out of the rear bumper ends (which I highly prefer as it looks best when done), be sure you have good baffles in your bumper ends. These are available in very nice reproductions if yours are rotted. The end of the exhaust is supposed to sit inside these baffles and end right near where they narrow into the rearmost part of the bumper. They are NOT supposed to poke all the way through the baffles and stick out of the bumper ends (looks silly IMO). Many do this to avoid further rot, but as long as you have good baffles then you'll be fine and you can always replace the baffles.

Guest COMPRESSION
I am having an exhaust system made right now. Highly recommended(by some BCA members) MJ exhaust, 275 + 45 shipping.231 620 9354 , Marty,nice guy.

So....just Give him a call? How can a complete system be that cheap?

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Who are some other suppliers that have complete systems ready to go at reasonable prices?

So....just Give him a call? How can a complete system be that cheap?

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Who are some other suppliers that have complete systems ready to go at reasonable prices?

Yup. Just give him a call and tell him what you need and ask for whatever advice he might have. His name is Martin Jensen. I've used a few repro systems from different people and his fit the best and I think was actually the best price. That said, like any repro part it may take some minor massaging to get the fit you want..........Bob

Guest COMPRESSION

WOW guys!

I had no idea I could get full system for this car at such reasonable prices! I really appreciate the leads!

Definitely going to buy a system.