1941 Oldsmobile rescue

ScottD961

I was going to post this in the general section but thought this section might be more appropriate. I'm looking at a 1941 Olds with a straight six. Car was parked in 1971 and hasn't run since. Someone in there enthusiasm overtightened new spark plugs in the head to the point where they are broken off! Also the owner doesn't" know if the motor is seized. I'm going to have a look Friday but was wondering. Should I just back the plugs out, or remove the head, then the plugs and check the head for damaged threads? Also, if the motor is seized, are there any suggestions for UN- seizing it? I just want to see if I can get it running for now and then worry about rebuild later. Thank you

Marvel Mystery Oil or straight wintergreen oil will do amazing things to unlock an seized engine. If you can get the plugs out, I think I'd pull them all and pour some MMO in the cylinders, then let it sit a few days before even trying to rotate it. Pour some around the plugs too- the wintergreen in MMO will creep into the spark plug threads and make them easier to remove, and it don't stink as bad as PB'laster.

A 41 is a great Oldsmobile to have and is very popular in the National Antique Olds Club www.antiqueolds.org . Lot's of knowledge there to help you thru getting it running and roadable again.

Thanks Rocket Raider. It looks like this: 00v0v_1rtDp82aTfZ_600x450_zpsbe430187.jpg

I figured there would be a way to UN seize the motor if it was seized just didn't know a good method. I never had to do it. WHat worries me more then anything is if the threads are damaged beyond repair or if it will need a new head?

Pontiac, Olds, Buick's of this period were always a favorite of mine. The Chevy from the same period not so much.I know it will need brake work and maybe a tranny service. I'm looking at making this a "Drivable Dream" No major restore keep the origianl paint repair the rust , some interior work and leave it as is.

Guest buickkuhn

The spark plugs are broke off then use a center punch to break the center threw and pour your marvel mystery oil in and let soak for days . let some marvel around the outside of the plugs too so it will ease the on the threads . Then a quality easy out can be inserted to remove the plugs : sometimes heat from a torch can help this too . After you get the old threads out you can use a shop vacuum with a 3/8" hose tape to the end to suck the porcelain and tip out of the cylinder . then re-oil with marvels again to free motor up - most of the ones I freed up in the past I just left in 1ST gear (manual trans of course) and rock the car (trying to move it ) with your body every couple days. Good luck and also love that era cars Mine is a 41 buick special original as I can keep it .

Thanks Buickkuhn. That is good advice. Once I see the car in person, I'll post an update here.Car seems like it spent most of it's time inside except for the pics. The guy is eager to sell and this seems like a good way to free it up. I just hope the engine is not damaged in any other way. Back in the early 90's I found an old 1950 De Soto in a cornfield and checked it out. Seemed pretty solid but it was missing it's hood ornament and hubcaps, and someone had painted it with brown house paint using a brush. I finally was able to track down the owner who told me that He had parked it there running , when he had a problem with the brakes. I asked if he would sell it and he said yes - $300 ! It was a big 4 door but I thought it was cool. I told him he would have a deal if I could come out over the weekend and work on it to see if I could even get it running again and he said sure. So Friday after work I go to Forest City auto parts and order a bunch of stuff and it was all in stock ! Had it running by the end of the weekend. It actually ran quite good but one of the valves would stick making it pop sometimes. Fixed that and the brake system eventually and it was a great car. Guess where the hood ornament was? In one of many boxes in the trunk - in perfect condition. Put it on the car and it worked too. I guess it was removed so it wouldn't get stolen. In another box were 5 yes 5 brand new oem hubcaps wrapped up in paper of some kind, like parchment only greasy. Should have kept the car and gotten rid of the wife - guess that's why she is an ex!

Edited by ScottD961 (see edit history)

Have you discussed a price? You don't want to get your hopes too high if the price becomes an issue. There are tools for broken spark pugs so that's an option as well.

It looks like it has some nice patina that might clean up nicely. I hope it works out for you.

Hi Bleach. We haven't discussed a price, he is asking $2800. If it is a solid as he says then Maybe I'll risk it. My other choices at this time are a 1940 Plymouth 4 door sedan running perfectly and drivable for $3500, a 1950 Plymouth 2 door sedan for $3000, and a 1948 Plymouth 4 door sedan for $2800 that runs but needs brake work and tires , tubes etc and the body is a little rough in spots. I also am looking at a 50 Caddy 4 door that is really nice for $2000 which has been stored in a heated garage since 1975. The motor is locked up in that too, but has a really nice interior and the body is pretty nice. So with these other cars available to me, If I like the OLDS, I may use those prices as leverage to get the price of the Olds down a bit.

That might not be to bad an asking price on the Olds. It is one of the more desirable body styles but it wouldn't hurt to negotiate the price down a bit. Make sure you pull out a little wad of cash, maybe start with about $2000 mainly because of the unknown condition of the engine.

The 50 Cadillac you mention sparks me some interest because you describe the body and interior as being in good shape. If the chrome and stainless is in good shape as well, the engine might be the least expensive issue to correct. They are very easy to work on and parts are fairly easy to get.

yeah Bleach, I'm leaning towards the Caddy however you should see some of these other cars ! LOL. Here are some pics. 1940 Plymouth, runs and drives ready to go for 3500.00H0H_an8AhGzmGNQ_600x450_zpsae38c217.jpg 1948 Plymouth for 2800 floor is bad among other things but runs and drives 00R0R_6RDNa5MBl28_600x450_zpsb76cdf36.jpg 1952 Chrysler Windsor sedan for 2900 that is really nice00r0r_8jx3lHX5T4U_600x450_zpsd5150552.jpg and a 1950 2 door sedan for 3000 that is also a driver 01212_hfuBBLISFfw_600x450_zps84d62a49.jpg. The owner of the caddy sent me pics from her phone and I can't seem to down load them so I can put them into photo bucket. I'll try again later

I like them all.............However I can only afford one. While I like the Olds and the caddy. It sure would be nice to have a car that already runs and drives and then I could perform the maintenance and upkeep while enjoying it. Buying one with a seized engine is a risk because , it may have been damaged prior to it being seized then you have to track down all of the hard to find bits

I would still consider the Cadillac especially if it is nicer than the rest. Not to offend others who may own one of these cars, but they were considered boring and stodgy when they were new.

Any photos of the Cadillac? Even if anything is damaged mechanically, spares are readily available.

Well, I just came back from looking at the Olds-- it is pretty nice. However it hasn't run since 71 Brakes of course are gone, fuel lines need cleaned out, gas tank cleaned and sealed. He would come down to 2500. The Caddy owner is stuck at 2000. He knows nothing about the car other than it was seized when it was purchased and has sat since. It will need much of the same as the Olds plus tires and rubber parts etc. I will try to get those pics posted for you bleach. He used a cell phone to send them to my email and I can not seem to down load them so I can put them in my photo bucket account. I'll try tonight.

I also understand what you are saying about the other cars being nothing special but The costs of these other cars will run way higher than what I will spend to buy them and My budget is tight and My diabetes is getting more aggressive so my leg problems and other problems pertaining to it are getting worse. I'd love that Caddy but Can I get it on the road again ?

Boy, if that ain't a "please buy me and save me" face...

I really don't think you'd go wrong with the Olds for the money- or the Cadillac, but only if it's complete. You could easily recoup your money with either. The Chrysler products, not so much simply because not as popular as the GMs.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Truth be told I'm leaning toward the Olds. It has been sitting for awhile but inside and the motor was not seized when they bought it. The Caddy has been seized since 1975 and they bought it that ways and It's at least 2 hours from here so the tow bill would be huge !