Wondering what happened to my dad's 65 Riviera

Seafoam65

My Dad sold his solid rust free Texas 65 Riviera in the late 80's and it got flipped to someone up in Ohio who was going to do

a restoration on it. The original colors of the car were Arctic White with a saddle interior. Options were power trunk release and

wire wheel covers and A/C and AM radio and front and rear factory floor mats. This car had the base interior with crank windows and base 401 engine. He ordered it in July 1964 and it was one of the very first 65 Rivieras built. The VIN number is believed to be 494475H900633. When sold it was a nice running car with a rebuilt

engine that just needed cosmetics. The guy in Ohio claimed he was going to paint the car black when he redid the paint. Anybody seen

this car?

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

My Dad sold his solid rust free Texas 65 Riviera in the late 80's and it got flipped to someone up in Ohio who was going to do

a restoration on it. The original colors of the car were Arctic White with a saddle interior. Options were power trunk release and

wire wheel covers and A/C and AM radio and front and rear factory floor mats. This car had the base interior with crank windows and base 401 engine. He ordered it in July 1964 and it was one of the very first 65 Rivieras built. The VIN number is believed to be 494475H900633. When sold it was a nice running car with a rebuilt

engine that just needed cosmetics. The guy in Ohio claimed he was going to paint the car black when he redid the paint. Anybody seen

this car?

Hi Winston, have you looked at the ROA roster that you can download on the ROA page and sorted it by the Ohio zip code area? Might narrow it down to a few to ask about it. I can pull one for you if you need help with it. Jayson

this car?

Also the car had tinted glass. One unusual thing about this Riviera is that because it was built very very early it came

from the factory with the 1964 style Riviera emblem on the glovebox door. I darn near wore the paint off that car washing and waxing it when I was twelve years old. I was the one who talked my dad into ordering a Riviera.....He and I went to

Bernie Dumas Buick in New Orleans so he could order a 65 Buick Lesabre station wagon. I walked into the showroom, flipped

over the 64 Riviera on the showroom floor and talked my dad into test driving one, and he immediately lost interest in the Lesabre. My dad celebrated his 89th birthday a couple of weeks ago and he really likes my Seafoam Riviera....he regrets

that he sold his car.

Guest onedesertdog
Also the car had tinted glass. One unusual thing about this Riviera is that because it was built very very early it came

from the factory with the 1964 style Riviera emblem on the glovebox door. I darn near wore the paint off that car washing and waxing it when I was twelve years old. I was the one who talked my dad into ordering a Riviera.....He and I went to

Bernie Dumas Buick in New Orleans so he could order a 65 Buick Lesabre station wagon. I walked into the showroom, flipped

over the 64 Riviera on the showroom floor and talked my dad into test driving one, and he immediately lost interest in the Lesabre. My dad celebrated his 89th birthday a couple of weeks ago and he really likes my Seafoam Riviera....he regrets

that he sold his car.

That is a great story. It would so cool for you and your Father to find info about it.

Buddy

Winston, just to add to the human interest of this thread, do you happen to have any pictures of the car and maybe with family members?

Yes, I do but I'll have to scan them into my computer first. One picture is of me and my Mom standing in front of it

on Easter Sunday 1965.

Holy cow Steve, do you have the VIN number of the car pictured? What is the story behind the photo?

Tom

Hi Tom. Quite a coincidence but mine is #900614. Just another very early, rust free '65 that was repainted black. I initially thought the glove box emblem was incorrect. Are there any other differences on early models we should all look for?

post-90212-143142883028_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom. Quite a coincidence but mine is #900614. Just another very early, rust free '65 that was repainted black. I initially thought the glove box emblem was incorrect. Are there any other differences on early models we should all look for?

Wow, very interesting. I have never witnessed this before on a `65. There are other early car differences, like the silver bar which runs thru the steering wheel horn bar, you may only have one relay for the headlight motor. Thanks for the VIN info. Seems like the cars may have been produced on the same day, certainly very close to one another. Hmmm...

Tom

Yes, I do but I'll have to scan them into my computer first. One picture is of me and my Mom standing in front of it

on Easter Sunday 1965.

Ok.....here are some pics. first is from Easter Sunday 1965 of me and my mom. Second is my younger brother

taken in 1966. third is an interior pic showing the 1964 glove box emblem the car came from the factory with. The last two pics were

taken by the the guy who bought the car from my Dad right before he sold it and it went to Ohio. Those pics were from around 1986.

post-102001-143142884518_thumb.jpg

post-102001-143142884521_thumb.jpg

post-102001-143142884525_thumb.jpg

post-102001-143142884528_thumb.jpg

post-102001-143142884532_thumb.jpg

I'll tell everyone another story about this car...... In September 64 GM had a big strike which closed down the Flint plant. Only about 1,000

Rivieras were built before the strike ended production for a month. My Dad kept calling Bernie Dumas Buick in New Orleans to see if the car had arrived, and

he was eventually told that it wasn't built before the strike and it would be at least another month before it came in. A couple of days later my Dad had to

go to New Orleans on a business trip and he decided to swing by the dealership to inquire about his Riviera on order. When he drove up it was sitting

on the showroom floor.....it was the only 65 Riviera that Bernie Dumas Buick got before the strike hit and they were lying to my Dad so they could keep it on the

showroom floor and show it to prospective customers! Boy was my Dad angry when he found out it had been there for 2 weeks already! The following Saturday I rode with my Dad to pick up the car and drive it back to Houma Louisiana where we lived. We had to stop on Hiway 90 to get some gas as they

had put very little in the tank. We pulled in to a deserted gas station and within a minute and a half, people were pulling off the highway just to look at the car.....it damn near caused a riot at the gas station.....everyone wanted to see the clamshells open and close!

Sounds like great memories of your dad and the Riviera. Wish I had more ideas to help in your search. I found some insurance information that I assume belong to the owner of my project '65 that had it before the guy I bought it from. I haven't had the chance but when I do I want to trace the car's history back to the original owner.

Ok.....here are some pics. first is from Easter Sunday 1965 of me and my mom. Second is my younger brother

taken in 1966. third is an interior pic showing the 1964 glove box emblem the car came from the factory with. The last two pics were

taken by the the guy who bought the car from my Dad right before he sold it and it went to Ohio. Those pics were from around 1986.

Wow, Amazing that you have such a good pic of the glovebox emblem.....and the early style steering wheel horn bar! I was told by an individual who was on hand, and in a semi-management position, in Flint during this time period, that if the assembly line was short of a part to complete a car build that he would go to the engineering dept and seek out something that would work to complete the build and get the car thru assembly. This may be a perfect example of that concept. My guess is both cars referenced in this thread were built on the same day and the sub-assembly area responsible for the dash assembly made due with what was available.

Notice the early car only silver bars which run thru the steering wheel horn bar which I referenced in an earlier post.....an amazing picture and, in my opinion, an acceptably documented exception to what is considered a "correct" detail....always learning details about the cars, very cool, thanks for posting the info Winston and Steve.

Tom

I'll tell everyone another story about this car...... In September 64 GM had a big strike which closed down the Flint plant. Only about 1,000

Rivieras were built before the strike ended production for a month. My Dad kept calling Bernie Dumas Buick in New Orleans to see if the car had arrived, and

he was eventually told that it wasn't built before the strike and it would be at least another month before it came in. A couple of days later my Dad had to

go to New Orleans on a business trip and he decided to swing by the dealership to inquire about his Riviera on order. When he drove up it was sitting

on the showroom floor.....it was the only 65 Riviera that Bernie Dumas Buick got before the strike hit and they were lying to my Dad so they could keep it on the

showroom floor and show it to prospective customers! Boy was my Dad angry when he found out it had been there for 2 weeks already! The following Saturday I rode with my Dad to pick up the car and drive it back to Houma Louisiana where we lived. We had to stop on Hiway 90 to get some gas as they

had put very little in the tank. We pulled in to a deserted gas station and within a minute and a half, people were pulling off the highway just to look at the car.....it damn near caused a riot at the gas station.....everyone wanted to see the clamshells open and close!

Winston, you are absolutely correct regarding the GM strike. This resulted in a full month in which no `65 Rivieras were produced. Many folks post the production numbers for `65 versus earlier years and come to the conclusion the `65 model was less desirable than the earlier models because fewer cars were produced and sold...WRONG! Great story, thanks for posting,

Tom Mooney

Winston, you are absolutely correct regarding the GM strike. This resulted in a full month in which no `65 Rivieras were produced. Many folks post the production numbers for `65 versus earlier years and come to the conclusion the `65 model was less desirable than the earlier models because fewer cars were produced and sold...WRONG! Great story, thanks for posting,

Tom Mooney

When I searched the UAW archives last year I found that the strike began on September 24, 1964, the same date as the official introduction for the '65 model. It wasn't clear from the records if any October cars were made at all. But what I'm really curious about is how many pre-strike Rivs were made in August and September. Anybody know?

When I searched the UAW archives last year I found that the strike began on September 24, 1964, the same date as the official introduction for the '65 model. It wasn't clear from the records if any October cars were made at all. But what I'm really curious about is how many pre-strike Rivs were made in August and September. Anybody know?

September 24, 1964 would be 09D on the body tag. I've seen VIN 494475H901404 with body date code of 09C. Flint built Wildcat and Riviera's started at 900001, so that would be at least 1404 Wildcat's and Riviera's built up to 09C.

OK Winston: from the info you gave, my opinion is this. Your family's car is still around. Here's the basis for my hypothesis.....

1. It is a 1965 Riviera which in itself would be prone to be saved.

2. When your father sold it it appeared that it was still in good shape.

3. In 1986 there was still a following for this particular make and model.

4. You said it went to a person who's intent was more as a special interest vehicle rather than a commute vehicle to be used in daily service.

5. You have begun to put the word out. the Riviera community is somewhat tight and has more than it's share of eagle eyes. A white 65 Riv with a saddle custom interior with power windows and a/c. Although it was a fairly common combination it still is quite a bit to go on.

For example......In 1975 A gentleman I know had a sea foam green/white interior 64 Riviera stolen from him. It was a custom, power windows and no a/c. Take my word for it that if a Riviera popped up within my viewing distance that even faintly resembled that stolen 64 Riv I'd be on it further investigating if it were in fact HIS actual car.

SO.................Riviera People, let's help Winston get back his family's original 65 Riv!!! Mitch

Hi Steve,

According to Ward`s automotive Yearbook no `65 Rivs were produced in the month of Sept. Judging from the date of the beginning of the strike it does not seem possible there was absolutely no production as Buick would surely have completed hundreds of builds (Rivieras...much more including the other models) by the 3rd week of the month. So, the reported data is obviously affected by some qualifier.

Even using VIN numbers in conjunction with body build dates might lead to inaccurate conclusions re production because it is possible there were many bodies already completed awaiting assembly or at least started by the Fisher plant when the strike started. Those bodies/builds would have been completed at Buick assembly after the strike was over. Armed with the limited info I have on hand it is very hard to arrive at what I would consider an accurate answer to your question. Unfortunately, more questions than answers,

Tom

PS The Riv looks nice in the current Riview!

For example......In 1975 A gentleman I know had a sea foam green/white interior 64 Riviera stolen from him. It was a custom, power windows and no a/c. Take my word for it that if a Riviera popped up within my viewing distance that even faintly resembled that stolen 64 Riv I'd be on it further investigating if it were in fact HIS actual car.

SO.................Riviera People, let's help Winston get back his family's original 65 Riv!!! Mitch

One situation may exist here. In Winston's original post, he stated that the person who bought the car intended to paint it black. Did the buyer paint it black, leave it white, or choose a different color altogether? So, what color are we looking for?

Ed

OK Ed: The constant here is....a 65 Riv, saddle custom, with a/c and power windows. There were many 65 Rivs that fit that description. The exterior color of white? Could'a been changed. The minute details? Who the heck knows?.

It really could be a long shot. A guy on the 1960 Buick Universe Facebook page asked about the origins of his B-60. My suggestion to him was to provide as much info as possible and each piece of info was like a dot. Connecting the dots is the puzzle. In his case he found the actual info he was looking for. If I found my parent's 60 Le Sabre coupe I would move mountains to get it. So many years, so much that happens. Mitch

I saw a couple of standard interior Rivieras at the ROA's annual event in Colorado Springs this year. I don't think it's that unusual of a combination of options. Perhaps not a car that would be ordered by an individual, but one that would be ordered by a dealership. The minimum of bells and whistles (power windows and seat with a/c) to make it really attractive to a potential buyer but at the same time, not out of reach dollar wise because it doesn't have the stuff you don't really want or need. Or just like the one that was ordered here. Just enough to make it comfortable. There's no way to break it down but I'm betting there were more cars built that way than you'd think.

Ed

I saw a couple of standard interior Rivieras at the ROA's annual event in Colorado Springs this year. I don't think it's that unusual of a combination of options. Perhaps not a car that would be ordered by an individual, but one that would be ordered by a dealership. The minimum of bells and whistles (power windows and seat with a/c) to make it really attractive to a potential buyer but at the same time, not out of reach dollar wise because it doesn't have the stuff you don't really want or need. Or just like the one that was ordered here. Just enough to make it comfortable. There's no way to break it down but I'm betting there were more cars built that way than you'd think.

Ed

There seems to be some confusion about the equipment my Dad's car was ordered with....It had the standard saddle interior(not the

Custom interior and it had crank windows. The only options were tinted glass, A/C, floor mats, power trunk release and wire wheel covers. Of course the best way to find it would be by the VIN number ending in 900633. I agree, it is most likely out there somewhere, but it could be

totally unrecognizeable if someone made a custom car out of it. Of course it is also possible that someone restored it then wrapped it around a tree while driving it......I certainly hope not but that is possible. I am working off of memory so I can't be absolutely positive

about the VIN number but it definitely is 9006**. The guy who sold it to someone in Ohio says he is absolutely certain it was 900633.

My self I'm not as certain but that sounds right. It would be virtually impossible for two cars to still exist in that narrow VIN range with the same original colors and options so if it's out there I'm confident it can be found. It is the most sparsely optioned 65 Riviera I have

ever personally run across.....most of them had a lot more options than my Dad's car. One thing I do remember vividly is that the

black painted rims the car came with had the last three digits of the VIN written on the outside of the wheels with a white paint marker from the factory. Also, when it went to Ohio, the nailhead was painted red and the air cleaner was a Cal Custom round chrome open element air cleaner, not the stock black air cleaner with snorkel.

Winston, just a thought. Contact the State of Texas, fill out a request for a vehicle title history report. I think the form is VTR275 on the form request a Title History. Will cost your around $5.75 They will have a copy of the paperwork sent in when the title in your Fathers name in Texas came back to the state. Start with who bought the car and let's try that trap.

• 1 month later...