NEED HELP My Car Drains Gas When I Turn it Off

Budensor

Not nice. Sounds like a bad needle valve in the carb. When you stop the engine, gas requirement stops, but there is still pressure in the fuel line. That pressurized gas is what is bleeding off and "overfilling" the carb and running off. The good news is that with the big engines there is that overflow line thak keeps that gas from running into the engine.

As an aside, you need to be sure that the little check valve in that elbow is working OK and the little ball inside is free

Actually this might be normal. My 37 Roadmaster has the same vacuum valve on the intake which is there to allow fuel to drain if the engine is not running. The heat from the engine can cause fuel to boil out of the carb when the engine is shut off and drain into the intake. The ball valve opens when vacuum is lost (engine off) to allow this boil over to drain as to not flood the engine. Get a service manual and read up. This is addressed in the manual for my 37, so I think it would be in the 36 manual also.

P

Actually this might be normal. My 37 Roadmaster has the same vacuum valve on the intake which is there to allow fuel to drain if the engine is not running. The heat from the engine can cause fuel to boil out of the carb when the engine is shut off and drain into the intake. The ball valve opens when vacuum is lost (engine off) to allow this boil over to drain as to not flood the engine. Get a service manual and read up. This is addressed in the manual for my 37, so I think it would be in the 36 manual also.

P

Oh, Now I understand what that thing is under Carb and its purpose.Today Iit just seems like a fire hazard and it make a mess in the garage floor which I live nearby ( same building ). I'm trying think how to handle this so I don't have problem in the future. I will read up on this.

Thanks for your help.

Bud Ensor

Edited by Budensor
Bad phraze (see edit history)

Bud,

You could just plug it and that would keep the gas in the engine. I don't know exactly how this would effect the engine as far as flooding. Another thing that might help a lot would be to allow the car to idle in the driveway and cool down a bit before parking in the garage. A pan of kitty litter would help the mess some also. I don't remember my 37 boiling gas out much, but in all fairness the car was not driven much as we just got her out of storage a couple of years ago and maby put 100 miles on her before restoration started. I should know more next year as the restoration will be done and we hope to drive her to Springfield for the show :cool:.

Hey, Thanks again for your reply. I bought our 1936 Roadmaster Phaeton 80C from a Estate in Conn. It was restored ( Frame on ) in 1995 and has not been driven much it only has 42K Original Miles. We are third owners. I've only driven it about 100 miles sent August. I hope we make it to Springfield next year too. I really hope to see you there. I think I will get a pan with some oil dry in it for now. Best Luck with your car too.

Thanks Bud

Hi Bud,

Another safety option might be for you to install a fuel shut-off valve in the fuel line. Then you could stop the flow of fuel while the car was running, and allow it to starve for fuel and to stop running, and then shut off the ignition. Then when it is time to drive again, use your electric fuel pump to prime the carburetor before starting. This way, no "old" gas could damage the carb....

This would also be a thought for longer-term storage.

Good luck,

Marty

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Hi Bud,

Another safety option might be for you to install a fuel shut-off valve in the fuel line. Then you could stop the flow of fuel while the car was running, and allow it to starve for fuel and to stop running, and then shut off the ignition. Then when it is time to drive again, use your electric fuel pump to prime the carburetor before starting. This way, no "old" gas could damage the carb....

This would also be a thought for longer-term storage.

Good luck,

Marty

Hello Marty,

Thank for your reply and a good idea. I think for now I might just get a pan and some cat litter. I hope you and your family are doing good.

Thanks Bud

Hello Marty,

Thank for your reply and a good idea. I think for now I might just get a pan and some cat litter. I hope you and your family are doing good.

Thanks Bud

Hi Bud,

All are well here, and I'm glad to see you are enjoying your 80-C.

It is a beautiful car, and it is not unusual for a museum car to take a fair amount of tinkering when you put it back on the road.

......sure would look great alongside a '34, wouldn't it?

By the way, a fuel shut-off is a good safety idea for any car, especially for short term, or long term storage.

Best regards to you and all your family,

Marty

post-54863-143142878403_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142878413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

that,s funny mine is more than that,all updrafts have a drain devise of some sort

Ok, But I don't understand my (this car) has a the carburetor on top of the manifold. I thought " updraft " stood for cars where the Carburetor is below the manifold ? Do you have a older Buick. I'm still learning about these older cars and want to know more. Thanks Bud

Bud,

Yours is a 2 barrel downdraft carb. I'm not sure which model, could be a Zenith, Stromberg or possibly a Carter (I think Carters were 37 or later?). Sombody else might chime in with more accurate info...

R

Robin, Yes it has Stromberg EE-22 runs great. Thanks Bud

Bud,

Yours is a 2 barrel downdraft carb. I'm not sure which model, could be a Zenith, Stromberg or possibly a Carter (I think Carters were 37 or later?). Sombody else might chime in with more accurate info...

R

Robin, Yes it has Stromberg EE-22 runs great. Thanks bud

Bud,

R

Robin, Yes it has Stromberg EE-22 runs great. Thanks bu

I am installing a fuel cut off solenoid on my truck so when the ignition is turned off the fuel is shut off. I got the solenoid from one of the Model T suppliers, I think Lang's.

GOOD IDEA - SAFETY-ORIENTED !!