1937 Plymouth Fuel Pump

Guest birdmannn101

Guest birdmannn101

This is the 3rd fuel pump I have gone through. Any thoughts on where I could pick up a good reliable one? My car still has 6 volt system.

What is happening to the pumps to cause them to fail? That would be my first question. If you're going through pumps that fast there must be an underlying problem. New fuel pumps should be available through NAPA ,the internet or any of the antique Mopar parts dealers. Voltage doesn't matter unless you're using an electric pump and there would be no need for one if the fuel system is up to par and the correct pump is used.

Guest birdmannn101

I think the reason the pumps are failing is because they are sold by either Ebay or Mopar and they have been sitting or stored on a shelf somewhere till they are sold (probably 1937 era). New fuel pumps through NAPA are either 12 volt or mechanical pump that would not fit the flat head engine (so NAPA says). The Internet would put me right back where I started with maybe buying an old pump that has been sitting on the shelf somewhere.

I am thinking that maybe I should buy a fuel pump overhaul kit with a NEW non-dried out rubber diaphragm and rebuild it myself. I am wondering if any of you have done that before?

Any NOS or NORS pump that has been on the shelf for decades is doomed to quickly fail: Even if the diaphragm is not dried out the additives in modern gasoline will destroy it. Get a quality rebuild kit from the likes of Antique Auto Parts Cellar or other places that have materials designed to stand up to modern gas additives and you should get years of service from it.

They make new replacement pumps for the 1940's L-6 Mopar engines which could probably be made to fit the pre-war Plymouths but they seem to have a high failure rate due to the pivot pin on the arm walking out. At the least make sure it is properly staked if you get one of those. But my preferred alternative is a good quality rebuild kit installed in an original pump.

• 1 month later...