1984 E Class, Help me get her started, please?

Guest GrammaCar

Guest GrammaCar

Hey, guys.

So I'm new here, and pretty new to car stuff all together. But I picked up a real cool '84 E Class (2.2L Turbo) the other day and it's giving me a little trouble.

I had codes 21 and 24, so I planed to replace the O2 sensor, but before long the car died and now I'm getting 42 and 54.

I got some info from allpar.com, saying that 42=injector circuit 1 open or shorted and 54=signal loss from fuel injector sync pickup during engine rotation.

So I'm thinking I've got it narrowed down to the thing under the distributor rotor? Or maybe the rotor itself.

On allpar.com, the rotor for the turbo is described as having 4 shutters, with one shutter having a hole to designate the #1 position. Mine doesn't have a hole though. Do you think it's the wrong rotor?

The guys at Orilye's said there isn't a different kind of rotor for the turbo, so maybe that's not the problem.

But anyway, is there really a different kind of rotor with a hole in one shutter? Or am I even close with the whole distributor/thing under the rotor thing anyway?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you guys can provide. I'm looking forward to learning gobs of helpful stuff here.

Guest GrammaCar

Hey there.

So I think I got it figured out. Seems the problem was the combo HEP/Fuel Injection Sync sensors under the distributor rotor. I replaced that this morning and it started right up.

I also replaced the O2 sensor since I had it.

She's running great now. Idling a little rough, but there may be some more work to do.

It'll get me to work and back for now though.