side mount installation on chrysler 66 -

Guest WallyScott

Guest WallyScott

can anyone help me with a diagram of the mount on the inside of the cowl panel to instal the side mount for the spare tyre - what I took off the car was some homemade steel mount which was not the original - can u buy one anywhere?? - thanks in advance - wally

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Wally, On our parts car (28 Model 72 Town Sedan) there is nothing that attaches to the cowl. The dual side mounts come up through the side splash aprons and are solidly bolted to the frame. They look something like a fishing davit. It has a lower clamp that is held down with a large wing nut and also has a clamp at the top that can have a padlock inserted after tightening against the rim. These are for de-mountable rims not wire rims. I suspect the Model 66 would be somewhat similar. Might be able to come up with a picture if you need one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest martylum

Wally-Perhaps your sidemount top rods are like my 30 Desoto setup. On the CK the horizontal rods go through the side of the cowl and bolt inside to a cast iron plate mounted to the inside of the cowl steel framing. I had some extra castings made of these and other sidemount castings if you need.

If you want to see pictures of the castings e-mail me: marty@oldercar.com.

Marty lum

1930 Desoto CK roadster

Guest WallyScott

thank you for the information but the old ones on the 66 are thru the cowl - yes I have de-mountable rims so yours sound as if they would work - I am at the moment putting the running boards on so that is all done beforehand - will get back to you if I need to - regards Wally

Guest WallyScott

yes mine are like yours and will email you in the new year as I am having trouble at the moment with my emails with Windows 8 - thanks Wally