1926 Series 70 wood structure

impacsys

Tip.....preserve what little you may have for patterns as I have never heard of the original plans being preserved. Who built your body? Chrysler at this point farmed out all of there bodies. Fisher built the majority; several other body manufacturers the balance.

Hi, My 1925/6 tourer body has finally arrived from Aussie. There is no Fedco plate on the dash and it appears to be a Canadian Fisher made product, as there are similarities to a couple of 28/9 Chev tourers that we are working on.

I have most of the wood to copy for the doors/pillars/cowl/rear tub and sills. However most of the floor and front seat structures are missing. I'm not sure if there should be steel braces onto the centre pillars or whether these are held by a wooden front seat frame. Does anyone have some pictures of the floor/seat areas please, or better still some old wood to lend out for copying.

Impacsys, you have not responded to my previous reply, where I asked what type of body do you have? Is it a tourer or coupe/roadster/sedan etc??

If you have a tourer the same as mine, perhaps we can help each other.

Best regards

Viv.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WallyScott

on the 1930 model they are held on with t shaped steel brackets and the same on our1928 model 52 so the same should be on yours regards wally - the steel brackets are on the top and bottom

Save what you have and trace the curves of the sheet metal be fore you remove the wood. Even if it is a bit out of shape you should be able to determine the curves. You will find that the arch of the front door is the same as the cowl's rear etc.

1924, 1925 and early 26 did not use the FEDCO plate. On these cars Chrysler used an oval serial number plate mounted to the dash, for export the number may be on the frame in front of the firewall.

Hi, Thanks for the info you guys have posted, the Aussie body does not have a fedco plate, but it does have an oval serial number plate attached to the front of the firewall with made in Ontario Canada on it.

Chrysler historical section came back to me, saying no records of the body numbers exist, only those with Fedco numbers they have records for and they say most Chryslers exported to Australia were shipped with only the cowl forwards as they were then finished in Aussie by either Holden or Richards. I'd appreciate any input on this thanks.

Wally, I have restored both a model 50 and a model 52 both with Detroit built bodies, they had a large T bracket about 12inches high supporting the pillar and I still have a pair of these brackets left over, but I'm not sure if the 1926 model 70 used these same brackets. I wonder if it might be possible to PM me your email and a I will send you a couple of pictures. Are your 2 cars in Australia canadian or USA built? Many thanks

Best regards

Viv.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ,

Thanks for your input, I've actually been in contact with the guy with the 29 stuff, but more importantly I have located this bracket in New Zealand, which is correct for my car.

Unfortunately only the one side, does anyone have the opposite one please, I can fabricate one, but original is always better.

I would also like to know, is the front seat fixed to the centre pillar? Any pictures of the front seat frame, seat riser and floor woodwork would be much appreciated, thank you all.

I'm making progress on the rear tub wood and most of the structural wood in the sides of the body.

Still looking for 20in Buffalo type 4 centre lock wire wheels please.

Regards

Viv.

post-101041-143142962608_thumb.jpg