1930 Chrysler Imperial Body question

I am looking to purchase a 1930 Imperial roadster. I think the body was built by Locke builders. are their any tips to find out for sure. It does have the Passenger side rumble seat door. are there any wood stampings to look for? Or other special body mods?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by vintagerodshop (see edit history)

If it has the side entry to the rumble seat, it is a Locke body. I believe it should have a body builder tag on the lower passenger side cowl. Does it come with a scalloped hood? Photos will help us to determine what you are looking at. Here is the 1929 which is very similar if not the same....

post-37352-143142864692_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Yes it has the scalloped hood. This car has a restored chassis and drivetrain, new oak bows, all the chrome done, gauges restored, wheels powder coated and new firestone tires. It needs some wood repair from dry rot and bodywork and paint plus new upholstery and canvas top. What would you say is market value for a finished restored car. Not a pebble style restoration but a nice complete nut and bolt restoration for a driver quality car?

It is DEFINITELY a Locke body with the scalloped hood and side rumble seat entry door. It would be a fairly high end car, so you would have to check out some of the more popular auctions to be able to tell what it could sell for or just what it is/would be worth finished. If it takes 2 years to restore (which is a pretty average/common time frame), the worth could change in that time period. Sure would love to see some photos of the car in question....John

If you go to the NAPA car guide website, you may be able to find out what they think it could be worth finished. Here is a 1930 Chrysler roadster non-Locke bodied car....

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1930-Chrysler-Other+Chrysler+Models-1698145.xhtml;jsessionid=97EA0623E9F74ACB06FB7927823D04E8?conversationId=809179

The Locke bodied car should be worth considerably more when done.

There is absolutely no way to know how many Locke cars there are in existence. There could be 1 or 2 or more in hidden places. Cars like that are still out there and sometimes unknown of by the antique car world. I drew a picture of that car back in 1980....

post-37352-143142864727_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

That is a car I would love to see in person. I had a 1929 Chrysler 75 that needed woodwork and I really wanted to do that wood. Had to sell the car to get something else i had to have. Been sorry ever since. After you get the car, maybe you can let us know what area you live.

No need to wait. I live in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. This will not be my first full classic. I have a number of cars you can see some of them on my face book page under " vintage rod shop" we get to play with some really great cars. Please note we also have a bunch of pics from my trip to the ACD museum last fall. These of course are not mine :)

• 6 years later...