1967 tempest problems

Guest jacob82

Guest jacob82

1967 tempest when you turn the key to the accessories position it activates the starter and dosent stop, also when you turn the key clockwise to the first position were the accessories are on but shuldent activate the starter it does acctivate the starter and the starter stays activated and dosent stop, and when you turn the key all the way clockwise to were the starter should be activated it does nothing, tryed a new ignition switch and it did the same thing

I'm not a Tempest expert, but since nobody has replied yet, I'll kick in my two cents. It sure sounds like you have some wires crossed up on the ignition switch. I recommend you find a wiring diagram for the car, and check that you have the wires on the correct terminals.

Another sometimes thought a silly question is does the car have any aftermarket things like remote starter, theft deterrent, or radio splice into the wiring harness???

If so, I would remove ALL of the aftermarket items and fix the wires.

I have run into this type of electrical gremlins and after I removed the device, fixed all of the wire damage from the "scotch lock" wire splices, VEHICLE FIXED.

If not, then Petes advice is good. Also could have a bad ground since you already tried a different switch.

I'm not a Tempest expert, but since nobody has replied yet, I'll kick in my two cents. It sure sounds like you have some wires crossed up on the ignition switch. I recommend you find a wiring diagram for the car, and check that you have the wires on the correct terminals.

Maybe more likely that the wires are crossed on the starter. Does it look like the starter was replaced recently?

Maybe more likely that the wires are crossed on the starter. Does it look like the starter was replaced recently?

^^^^^THIS! The purple wire should go to the S terminal on the starter, the other wire to the R terminal. If they are reversed, you'll get the symptoms you describe.

Also, this is an excellent example of why you should always diagnose the problem and perform troubleshooting tests BEFORE replacing any parts. You now have a brand new and completely unnecessary ignition switch.