1953 Buick Riviera home from paint shop.

Guest Ian Norgrove

Guest Ian Norgrove

Finally, after 14 months in the paint shop the 53' super riviera came home. Beautiful job though, and worth the wait.

For those that are interested, this car is modified, not by me, but by the cars first owner since being a barn find in Emmet Idaho. He is now a pro rod builder, but before selling it he had installed a Buick 455 V8 in a 1979 firebird front clip with all the running gear from the 1970 Buick Electra. When I bought the project it was totally in the rough, rusty, and greasy.

As you all probably know, you have to build up a project twice, once in the rough and dirty to make sure everything fits, then pull it all down and start building it up pretty. I got the project when it was in the 3/4 built up rough stage, and as with anything you modify, you change one thing and then you have to change six others because of it. The car is a 56R which was originally a hard top.

I so badly wanted a convertible, that I went a step further and re enforced the chassis with the convertible mounts, installed chassis strengthening and cut the top off. I had researched the ancient art of the Carson top and decided that was the option I would be happy with. I built the Carson top frame per an old street rod magazine article written by a CA rod builder. I can have the frame on or off in less that 5 minutes, and it will look just like the convertible when it's either on or off. I did however retain the nice s/steel window trims and seals for the top. I don't have it covered yet, that will be the last thing I do on the project.

I just got the 455 back from the engine builder and ready to install it. It has a turbo 400 transmission. Should be installing it all in the frame next weekend if it's not too cold in my shop.

My inspiration for the build I have to say is the 53 Skylark, I can never afford one, and this will never be like one, but I saw a Skylark in a movie, then during my research saw a Riviera and thought it was equally cool, thats what got me started on this. It was only ever going to be a driver, then as time went on the build quality kept going up, now here I am 4 yrs down the road and countless thousands of dollars more out of pocket than I expected to be, but it's turning out beautiful and it gives me great pleasure to see it come together.

I tried to download some photos, had some trouble, so hope they show up in my album.

I would like to hear from anyone with a similar interest, I think it's the only car like this in town so I have no other reference for the build.

Ian

post-65694-143142860668_thumb.jpg

My Dad - The vintage car and motorcycle restorer told me "If you want to get it finished, you have to do at least one thing every day, no matter how small, and never throw a cover over it!"

post-65694-143142860621_thumb.jpg

post-65694-143142860648_thumb.jpg

post-65694-143142860652_thumb.jpg

post-65694-143142860656_thumb.jpg

post-65694-14314286066_thumb.jpg

post-65694-143142860664_thumb.jpg

This is Beautiful .. looks really great ,:cool: this is gonna be some car....

But what dit you do with the dashpanel ? is that a liquid print ? my 41 dashpanels were also very bad and new machine turning was impossible overhere so i found actually in the usa a Machine turning water print .. Which i purchased So i am very curious to the result.

goodluck

Guest Ian Norgrove

Hi Buick41, The print on the dash board used to be called Dynoc, but I got mine through a member of the Buick Skylark Club. He had the original 53 Skylark pattern reproduced on 3M Controltac graphic marking vinyl. He supplies enough to do the car in a kit, I think it cost $165. You have to use a hair dryer to make it mould around the shapes and curves and in some cases has to be cut and moulded in a couple of operations and matching the pattern where it joins. Let's me just say ' It's character building!'.

Originally Posted by Ian Norgrove

My Dad - The vintage car and motorcycle restorer told me "If you want to get it finished, you have to do at least one thing every day, no matter how small, and never throw a cover over it!"

Ian,

Can I borrow this quote to use as my signature?

I'll use your dad's name if desired.

Guest Ian Norgrove

Hi John, Yes the painter did an amazing job , Paul Zarneke ( Ding- Go) in Boise, Idaho. One day I walked in and the fenders were sitting on a work stand looking amazing. I told him he did a fantastic job of cutting and polishing them. He said he hadn't touched them, the finish was straight off the gun. Then he polished them, wow!