Rebuilding my 1933 Stude Model 56 flathead 6- advice, suggestions, and help

dc8ups

Ok, its been a while since I updated so here goes....... Running gear- pretty much restored and waiting to bolt to the frame, Transmission-rebuilt, bell housing-blasted and painted, new clutch and pressure plate sourced, flywheel- resurfaced. Now here is where I need some help, I have pretty much torn the engine down to the bare block. All accessories are rebuilt or are in the process. I will list the vendors I used and review them at a later date. I know that finding new pistons is probably impossible but the originals look pretty good ( as do connecting rods) so I am thinking that a clean up honing for the bores and new rings may work just fine. Thoughts? The camshaft is fine but I am positive that I want to hot tank the block and that is going to mean new cam bearings. Where can I go for those as well as crankshaft bearings? (I found RAM Engines, has anybody used their services) Also, I thought when I took off the timing cover that I would find a chain but instead it is two meshed gears. The smaller crankshaft gear looks fantastic but the larger camshaft gear has a broken tooth. It appears to be made from some sort of different metal as a magnet will not stick to it. Surely it can't be aluminum? Anyway, I need a new crankshaft gear as well. Thoughts are where to find that? As always, thank you to the forum for all of the invaluable help! Scott

The camshaft gear is a fiber gear and is unique to this one year engine.

The cam turns the other direction from other years because it is gear drive while earlier engines were chain drive.

It was the first downdraft carburetor.

I have a manifold intake and exhaust for this one year only engine.

Because of Studebaker's involvement with White , they used this engine in their light duty trucks.

I will check if I still have a timing gear and engine bearings.

I am old and slow so please have patience.

Consult Dave Thibeault if the cam bearings he sells are for your engine.

He is very knowledgeable about Studebakers and is a good vendor.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/vendors/tbow/tbow0513b.html

Robert Kapteyn

815 722 7262

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...