1927 Chrylser questions

Guest zeke5551

Guest zeke5551

Good morning, I'm getting ready to start my '27 Model 50 for the first time since 1951 and have a few questions. What is the point gap supposed to be? Timing order? What weight oil should I use? I'm looking at the fuel pump and trying to figure out how it works and how to get a rebuild kit. It appears to have a oil line from the oil pump?? Or is this a vacuum pump? The car is absolutely original, so I'm not dealing with an altered car. Another goofy thing is (well, at least to me) most of the wiring is wrapped in a steel shell, like a choke cable. I assume I cannot trust it from shorting. I'd appreciate any help. Great forum!

Thanks, Keith Z

Guest zeke5551

I'll get that ordered asap! I'll post a picture when I get home...shouldn't be playing on the net at work!!! Maybe they have a 12 step class for us old car addicts....

Have you prepared the engine for starting after such a long rest? Has oil pan been off for example to look at lower end? My '31 Chevrolet Coach had been sitting for 46 years when I bought it 8 years, and before I started it, among many other things, I checked oil level, and it was full, oil appeared new, so I started it up. A few weeks later when I took off the oil pan to check for a noisy bottom end, I found there was only about 1/2" of usable oil in pan (PO had obviously added a quart or so), and the rest of the 46 year old oil had congealed into a thick tar, mostly blocking the oil pump intake. It would not drain from pan and had to be scraped out. As well, the "dippers" on the connecting rods had been installed backwards. So before starting any long resting engine, there is a standard set of suggestions to prevent damage, and dropping oil pan for a look is my recommendation.

Guest zeke5551

Good idea, I plan to drain the oil and run a bore-scope inside and take a look. I believe this car has a pressure oil system, so I should see pressure when turning over and I also have a pre-oiler. All depends on what I see with the scope. I teach aviation maintenance and have access to some fun(helpful) tools. We'll see how it goes.