700 HP '48 Convertible

Guest shadetree77

Guest BigDogDaddy

I saw this also. Icon does an awesome job with all of their vehicles. Very high quality and very expensive. And they will build one for you too.

Guest my3buicks

I look at it as they destroyed it, it may look like a Buick on the outside, but that's where it ends. It's just another screwed up car now. At least keep the heart a Buick. Gaarbaaage!!!

I agree with Keith. My heart sank as soon as they opened the hood. I recently sold a car for a lower offer. The higher offer buyer was telling me of his plans to modify/rat rod the car. The car I sold will not modified and lost to history. I sleep well at night knowing the car went to an owner who appreciates and respects the car.

Guess it is time to muddy up the waters again! As can be seen below, I own several Buicks. All are original cars and all are in running/driving condition with the exception of the '52 which was saved because of it's uniqueness and one the '57 model 46 R's which is being converted to a restomod. It will be predomitaly Buick (not all '57) with some modern up grades like a new frame /suspension, disc brakes, fuel injection and etc. It will still look very much like a '57 model 46 R. If is ever shown at a Buick event it will have a placard in front of it to help viewers understandwhat the modifications are.

I happen to like all old car's! To me it sets the wrong image of the Buick Club of America to be so openly critical of people's tastes that happen to be different than yours. From my limited knowledge, our Club has a declining membership. In my humble opinion we need to reach out to all facets of the Buick community. People have probably been modifying cars since day two of their introduction, especially the post WWII era. There is somewhat of a renewal today in modifying cars especially restomoding likely due to to the exposure from TV programs like Overhaulin', Fast & Furious and various other.

This a real turn off to viewers to our forums that have differing tastes. Do we need to rename our club "Restored Buick Club of America"? I think not! We need to welcome ALL Buick enthusits!

Just my 2 cents!

Gary

Guest my3buicks

While it's not my thing, I can appreciate a modified Buick. The word BUICK is key here. For me to have any appreciation of a modified Buick it has to be Buick powered. I would be much more impressed had they dropped a 455 in it. I applaud the BCA for having the modified division to include that group I applaud it even more that they need to be Buick powered.

Guess it is time to muddy up the waters again! As can be seen below, I own several Buicks. All are original cars and all are in running/driving condition with the exception of the '52 which was saved because of it's uniqueness and one the '57 model 46 R's which is being converted to a restomod. It will be predomitaly Buick (not all '57) with some modern up grades like a new frame /suspension, disc brakes, fuel injection and etc. It will still look very much like a '57 model 46 R. If is ever shown at a Buick event it will have a placard in front of it to help viewers understandwhat the modifications are.

I happen to like all old car's! To me it sets the wrong image of the Buick Club of America to be so openly critical of people's tastes that happen to be different than yours. From my limited knowledge, our Club has a declining membership. In my humble opinion we need to reach out to all facets of the Buick community. People have probably been modifying cars since day two of their introduction, especially the post WWII era. There is somewhat of a renewal today in modifying cars especially restomoding likely due to to the exposure from TV programs like Overhaulin', Fast & Furious and various other.

This a real turn off to viewers to our forums that have differing tastes. Do we need to rename our club "Restored Buick Club of America"? I think not! We need to welcome ALL Buick enthusits!

Just my 2 cents!

Gary

Very well said Gary.

Well, a very interesting car. Thanks for posting the clip, Robert. I like the way the original centre grille in the dash opens up, and the tilt steering has still a '48 Buick look to it.

The only critcal comment I'll make, is that I too wish that it were a modified Buick 455, and not the Chevy engine. Tougher to do, but it would make it more unique too.

Otherwise, it is another '48 Buick out on the road, and not sitting rusting away in a field or worse.

Keith

Guest shadetree77
the 'patina look' just screams lazy and cheap

Or in my case it says "too broke to do anything about it right now".:P I get what you guys are saying about having a Buick engine. If I were to build a hot rod (in 99% of scenarios) I would keep the engine true to the make of the car. That being said though, I still like this one. Would I do that to a '48 convertible.....HELL no. But since someone else chose to, I can admire the nice work that they did and I can say with certainty that I would drive the CRAP out of it if they gave it to me.:cool:

I agree, Robert. I believe that if its' your car, its' your money and therefore your choice. I too would not of done it the same way, with the money that must of been spent on it, I would of had a kick ass paint job done as well. But since its' someone else's vision, and like I said before, it is a neat car, and the patina gives a bit of a sleeper look to it, keeps you guessing, till the driver opens her up. I may now be over 60, but I sure could get into a lot of trouble with that car!

Keith

Personally if they were to of kept it with a Buick engine I think the Nailhead would have fit the bill best. The 455 is a great engine but in my opinion dose not fit the car any better then the Chev engine. If I had only the two to choose from I would have made the same choice the builder did.

Guest buickkuhn
I agree with Keith. My heart sank as soon as they opened the hood. I recently sold a car for a lower offer. The higher offer buyer was telling me of his plans to modify/rat rod the car. The car I sold will not modified and lost to history. I sleep well at night knowing the car went to an owner who appreciates and respects the car.

We all love our cars , and there is a car for everyone ! I am standing with Keith and rick60 on this one . Cutting the original Buick down at the end of the interview made me mad ! Doesn't that guy realize that the modern crap wouldn't exist if the genius creative inventors didn't make that 48 Buick back then . Don't cut down the old to make the new look better . Especially when your computer may go out and that old 6 volt original car will tow your butt to a shop to get worked on .

Some nice touches but I must agree as soon as I see an LS engine under the hood my eyes glaze over and think they took the easy and cheap way out. Their choices of course but this is an unfortunate return to when everything was SBC powered, the bellybutton principle. The LS IS a fine engine, but it certainly isn't a Chebby engine. It has cues from other makes, including Ford and Buick, and almost no SBC. Even a blown 500 Caddy would have been better, but that's just me.

Some nice touches but I must agree as soon as I see an LS engine under the hood my eyes glaze over and think they took the easy and cheap way out. Their choices of course but this is an unfortunate return to when everything was SBC powered, the bellybutton principle. The LS IS a fine engine, but it certainly isn't a Chebby engine. It has cues from other makes, including Ford and Buick, and almost no SBC. Even a blown 500 Caddy would have been better, but that's just me.

Easy and cheap way out? http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/ls9.html

... and that is just the engine. Add tranny, rear end and fabrication and $40k might do it. Redoing the stock Buick drive train might cost $10K.

I was telling a friend that I would consider installing a 572 in one of mine if the valve covers did not say 'Chevrolet 572'...his answer was that installing different valve covers would be a minor percentage of the the cost.

Maybe a Mopar 572 Wedge and try to pass it off as a mirror image of a Buick 455 :D.

The best way to save all these old relics and keep them 'pure' is to step up and buy them!

Willie

Easy and cheap way out? http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/ls9.html

... and that is just the engine. Add tranny, rear end and fabrication and $40k might do it. Redoing the stock Buick drive train might cost $10K.

I was telling a friend that I would consider installing a 572 in one of mine if the valve covers did not say 'Chevrolet 572'...his answer was that installing different valve covers would be a minor percentage of the the cost.

Maybe a Mopar 572 Wedge and try to pass it off as a mirror image of a Buick 455 :D.

The best way to save all these old relics and keep them 'pure' is to step up and buy them!

Willie

Agreed that the easy/cheap route was not the best choice of words, also inaccurate. I do appreciate keeping a derelict on the road but the LS transplants are just too common. I guess it's just a personal bias to admire unconventional, or even impractical, solutions.

I guess it's just a personal bias to admire unconventional, or even impractical, solutions.

These hot rod shops and their customers remind me of middle school kids. If they don't dress just alike and do everything the same, they're afraid that they'll not be accepted by their peers. It's like looking at bunch of cloned sheep.

Ed

When WILL folks quit picking on a person that builds to his/her choice? I don't recall the owner/builder ASKING FOR OPINIONS.

Sure there are LOTS of cars/trucks that AREN'T my choice, but hey, this is America, each to his/her own.

I don't get it, if a grandmother introduced us to her granddaughter, and she wasn't an attractive child, would we tell the grandmother, SHE IS UGLY, or she should wear her hair another way, or dress better?

I enjoy originals, but also modified cars/trucks TOOOOOOOOO. I'm just THANKFUL to do what I can to enjoy the 86,400 seconds of each day.

Dale in Indy

When WILL folks quit picking on a person that builds to his/her choice? I don't recall the owner/builder ASKING FOR OPINIONS.

Sure there are LOTS of cars/trucks that AREN'T my choice, but hey, this is America, each to his/her own.

I don't get it, if a grandmother introduced us to her granddaughter, and she wasn't an attractive child, would we tell the grandmother, SHE IS UGLY, or she should wear her hair another way, or dress better?

I enjoy originals, but also modified cars/trucks TOOOOOOOOO. I'm just THANKFUL to do what I can to enjoy the 86,400 seconds of each day.

Dale in Indy

Dale, You pretty much summed it up here. I wonder how many individuals here would even have the talent to pull off a build like this. Its easy to pic someone elses build apart from the convenience of your keyboard. This would be a much more enjoyable place if the negative comments were left out of the discussion.

Guest my3buicks

Dale in Indy[/quote

Ok, you gave your opinion the same as i did, your opinion doesn't hold any more water with me as mine does with you. Doesn't mean either one of our opinions are right or wrong, they are just what they are, opinions.

So if I read back through your 1800+ posts I would never find where you gave an opinion on whether you'd like something or not?

By the way, if the grandmother had an ugly granddaughter I probably Would say so, that's how I am, but then again I be the first to complement if deserving.

4 Weeks Ago #73

May 2010

Indianapolis, In.

Re: A BUICK SPECIAL RIVIERA 1953 IN PARIS

Still like your car, but, WITHOUT the skirts.

IMO, if skirts were meant for your car, Buick wouldn't have put the mini flares on the openings. Instead there would have been a SMOOTH transition to the skirts. NOTHING PERSONAL, for sure.

GREAT SHOTS THOUGH,

Dale in Indy

Dale in Indy

DOB 1937

*1941, Buick Limited

*1946, Buick Roadmaster

*1940's, Whizzer bike

*1957, France motor scooter

*1940, Rexner tether car

*2012 1946, 25" scale model of the Detroit parade float.

*1963 John Snowberger 24" hand formed Indy car, # 98

*2013, 27" Art Deco model of 1941 vision of a TRUCKS TO COME, by me.

*30" model of the 1940 GM FuturLiner, by me.

*30" model of the GOOGLE LOCOMOTIVE, by me.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Dale in Indy[/quote

Ok, you gave your opinion the same as i did, your opinion doesn't hold any more water with me as mine does with you. Doesn't mean either one of our opinions are right or wrong, they are just what they are, opinions.

By the way, if the grandmother had an ugly granddaughter I probably Would say so, that's how I am, but then again I be the first to complement if deserving

Btw, wouldn't telling this guy that you like his car better without the skirts be pretty much the same thing?4 Weeks Ago #73

May 2010

Indianapolis, In.

Re: A BUICK SPECIAL RIVIERA 1953 IN PARIS

Still like your car, but, WITHOUT the skirts.

IMO, if skirts were meant for your car, Buick wouldn't have put the mini flares on the openings. Instead there would have been a SMOOTH transition to the skirts. NOTHING PERSONAL, for sure.

GREAT SHOTS THOUGH,

Dale in Indy

Dale in Indy

DOB 1937

*1941, Buick Limited

*1946, Buick Roadmaster

*1940's, Whizzer bike

*1957, France motor scooter

*1940, Rexner tether car

*2012 1946, 25" scale model of the Detroit parade float.

*1963 John Snowberger 24" hand formed Indy car, # 98

*2013, 27" Art Deco model of 1941 vision of a TRUCKS TO COME, by me.

*30" model of the 1940 GM FuturLiner, by me.

*30" model of the GOOGLE LOCOMOTIVE, by me.

Grandmothers are better listeners than car builders, so they might be offended. Everyone is a better listener than a Buick owner, from my experience. That's why they made computers and forums for the Buick guys sitting home alone. Post #28, what was post #1 about?

Bernie