1948 New Yorker Straight Eight 323 engine: some questions

Guest Ed-NL

Thanks to the help in a different thread, I eventually got the manifold off. I have two more questions to ask about the engine:

1. What is the best type of oil to use for the engine?

1. With the manifold off, I have a good access to the valves. The engine is running smooth, but I am not sure whether it is still advisable to adjust the valves now that I can easy access them. I remember to have read somewhere that this should be done when the engine is warm, but that is not possible because the engine is partly disassembled. Any advice?

Ed

you should ask this on the buick forum. asking about oil will get many different responses, and most of them will be correct. it is a personal choice, but IMHO any quality oil in a 10/30 will be just fine. I use synthetic in my 54 mopar flathead, but I think I will go back to conventional. I read that these engines will use more oil if you put synthetic in and I am finding that to be true. shell rotella has a higher zddp content for the flat tappets but without hard use or racing it really is not an issue. I rebuilt a straight eight once and set the valves at the cold setting and they were fine. the buick forum should be more helpful. capt den