I'm having trouble installing points

Dwight Romberger

You need an insulator where the wire comes in, and an insulated bushing for the points to move on and an insulated rubbing block at the cam. Something heat proof and hard wearing. The originals were probably Bakelite or Micarta, today there must be improved plastics but I don't know exactly what.

They used the same setup on points ignitions up to the seventies, it is possible you can cabbage suitable replacements from a newer Delco distributor or points set if they kept to the same dimensions.

Or you might be lucky and find an NOS set to fit your distributor. I assume they are no longer made or no longer available thru normal channels or you would have just bought some.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I cut a piece of plastic soda bottle to wrap around the back of the points.

With the points "open" there is voltage on the side of the contacts wired to the ignition coil and condensor, and no voltage anywhere else.

Using an ohm meter there is continuity between everything I touch in the dist. Am I missing something here or just going insane?

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

The movable points must be insulated from the distributor. They ground thru the fixed point when they close.

I suspect you originally had a bushing in the hole with flat washers on both sides, made of bakelite or mikarta, all held together with a little bolt. The head of the bolt held the spring. On the outside, went the wire from the coil.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Had that type of problem on a 1970 VW transporter had bought a new set of points from K Mart had a missing problem would run ok at speed of 45 and above but at slower speed would cut out an quit . It had a bad fiber board on the points. Cut a plastic lid of a coffee can to insulate to prove the point and it work ok so I could get to the next town with a auto parts store to buy a new set of points the best for sale .