Reatta - King of Queens - The Shmenkmans

Finfan1

So last night I was watching King of Queens - Season 2 Episode 18. Doug and Carrie had found new friends(the Shmenkmans) but lost them to Deacon and Kelly. At the end of the show they are looking for new friends and driving home at night from the movies. They spot a car broken down on the side of the road and Carrie says -" look at that couple with the broken down car, should we stop to help them, they look young and they have a 2 seat Reatta - and that means they have no kids" and the show ended.

I wonder what was wrong, I hope it wasn't something major. lol

Just once localy have I seen a Reatta broken down on the road; a red coupe on an interstate on-ramp. Was there maybe a couple of hours.

How random a line for a TV episode. I never watched King of Queens, but I often wonder how/why a writer puts something so specific and unlikely in the screenplay of a show. Maybe they owned one, or knew someone that did. Perhaps it was some sort of in-joke, as this happens a lot in movies and tv. Some screen writers are somewhat famous for placing their own private jokes in a line of dialog or as an on-set prop. John Landis, who worked on Animal House and The Blues Brothers, among others, does a lot of this if you are familiar with his movies.

KDirk

Guest PontiacDude210

I YouTubed it, I can't not hear Miata on that line even expecting something else.

Major browser malfunctions here, involving autocorrect and the post key sticking. Forgive the 11 edits lol.