What does this oldnew takeoff early 1930's Mopar gas tank gauge fit

auburnseeker

I picked this old new takeoff Mopar gas tank gauge up at Hershey and founf it had a broken swing arm inside, which I fabricated a new one out of and put it all back together. It works perfect now. Unfortunately even though I have really good parts books back to about 1936 I can't find the application. Even my 1935 and 1936 Price books don't seem to have it. It's in the really old 1930's Mopar box which I think they discontinued in the late 30's. The part number on the box is badly faded. It looks like 44778 There may possibly another digit after the 8. I know the first 3 and probably 4 digits are definitely correct. Any ideas? It's a very nice gauge I'm sure someone would be happy to have. post-43003-143142855722_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142855711_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142855717_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14314285572_thumb.jpg

Looks typical for Plymouth for the early years before they went to the two wire sender type. But I don't see that part number used for Plymouth.

Could you do me a favor and measure the empty, half tank and full resistance values? The range that works for my '33 Plymouth and a friend's 31 and another friend's 35 are pretty close. I suspect that most/all Chrysler built cars used the same range back then but don't have enough data to prove or disprove it.

When I checked this over and over during the repair process it measure from about 1.5-125+ or - Ohms. Hope this helps. I don't remember what the half way point was as I was just making certain it maintained an even sweep and didn't have any breaks in the readings.

That sounds like the same range as other early 1930s Mopar sending units I've measured or others have measured for me. Thanks!

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/fuelsender2.html