1955 Door Flipper Assembly

buick840

I'm working on repairing the door flippers on my 55 and was wondering if anyone had some tips.

I've disassembled them which is a bit tricky but the removal of the fuzzy strips has me concerned.

I've attached some photos of the areas I'm talking about.

Other than physically prying open the edge that holds them in is there any tricks to removing them to replace them with new ones? Mine are crimped in very tight and I can see prying the edge open could lead to damaging the stainless.

Any Thoughts?

post-41557-143142855622_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142855428_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142855457_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142855485_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142855513_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142855541_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142855568_thumb.jpg

post-41557-143142855595_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick840 (see edit history)

Yes, yours are in rough shape. Two suggestions. Try to find units with decent fuzzies. Failing that I would use my Dremel tool with a small abrasive wheel and cut the fuzzy off along the crimp line. It's quite possible you can then get the wheel in under the crimp to remove most or all of the material under and behind the crimp. There are lots of different fuzzies available one should adapt. I would NOT try to open or re-crimp the stainless. You would be guaranteed to cosmetically ruin it. Hopefully you can find a fuzzy that can slip an edge under the cleaned out crimp. In any case epoxy the new fuzzy in place.

That will be an interesting project. A couple of asides. Oldsmobile flippers are the same as Buick's. If you do use a dremel tool don't bother paying Dremel's exorbitant price for the wheels. Make you own by cutting them out of a thin 3" or 4" die grinder disc. Use a tin snip to cut the out a 1" rough circle and punch the arbor hole with an awl. They work great and are more aggressive than a Dremel bought wheel. If you need new rivets they can be made from stainless and polished. Have fun. Flippers are a neat project to restore............Bob

I just went up and looked at my 55 Olds. I cut the old fuzzies off as described. Didn't try to get under the crimp. I don't think that's feasible after a closer look. I just epoxied on new fuzzies that I bought from Restoration Supply. I don't think they sell "flipper fuzzies", they are window fuzzies of a close match. You can't tell even with a close look they aren't original, work good and last a long time. Really the easiest part of flipper restoration.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)