1921 model 45 opinions what is it worth??

tblack

I've been talking back a forth with a fellow up my way that has a 1921 Buick model 45....we have negotiated different trade options to no success. What do you any of you think this is worth. Being close to home delivery is minimal

He purchased it over 20 years ago for $8000 was probably a 3.5 then and has deteriorated to a 4 now. Has not been on the road in 13 years.

Starter/gen needs work.

Missing a light lens, radiator splash pan, rad has a leak, no bumpers. A couple of top repairs needed. I stopped to see it 12 years ago and the old guy (now older and more stubborn today) started it on the first hand crank. Pictures are 12 years old but give some idea of the shape. My kind of car needs a little work to make reliable and not too pretty.

Opinions welcome as I formulate a last offer.

post-53510-143142855404_thumb.jpg

post-53510-143142855413_thumb.jpg

Tom, the 12 year old pictures might not tell the true story here. You could always show up at the guys place with a handful of Benjamins and ask the guy if he truly wants to sell the car and show him the green. I know a guy who deals in old cars this way and he has really been successful in buying automobiles in that manner. From what you have described about the car, I personally wouldn't want to put more than $6K in a car like that. I have simply got to ask you this question and I hope you won't get hosed off by the asking. WHY did you let that very nice 1922 Model 49 go that you had? That car is/was way, way nicer than this old customer will ever be. You just gotta tell me the answer to that question.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Tom,

Without seeing the car in person, nobody can accurately provide what you ask. However, I advise folks to start with a price you can find on eBay or elsewhere for the same type of car that has already been restored. Then show the seller the cost of restoring each component subtracted from the restored price until you get to a realistic price for his or her un-restored car. Two years ago, one of my local Buick buddies bought a 1920 Buick Touring car in similar condition for under $6000 out of central Oregon.

Tom,

Without seeing the car in person, nobody can accurately provide what you ask. However, I advise folks to start with a price you can find on eBay or elsewhere for the same type of car that has already been restored. Then show the seller the cost of restoring each component subtracted from the restored price until you get to a realistic price for his or her un-restored car. Two years ago, one of my local Buick buddies bought a 1920 Buick Touring car in similar condition for under $6000 out of central Oregon.

Terry you are correct traveling with green is the way to go. Mark I agree if you run across the proper circumstance a car like that could be purchased for under $6000. Thruth is I looked at this car 12 years ago and have a companion to it model 44 plus tons of parts for either 1921 or 1922 so it is interesting to me. I don't want interesting to me to translate to overpaying. Anyone have a range for reasonableness of price. I tend on this one to err on the higher side considering it is relatively close.

Also anyone have an extra splash plan and headlight email me with price so I can connect the dots on thisone

Is the engine still free?

John Tarleton in Ohio has thousands of lenses. Not on the Internet. Great fellow. Call me for his contact info.. He fixed me up with a perfect match when a stone took out one of mine on my '23.

Is the lens rim still around?

And Tom you're no Neophyte. You are as good at this game as the rest of us. Sounds like a great potential driver/tour car. Make sure to buy up any spare parts too.

Brian.

Final bid on this 24-45 was $6600. Interior and top needed replacing. That 23-55 went for over $9000. If the engine fired up using the crank previously and the interior is in good condition, a good polish and clean, and it would look really good beside your 21-44. I would,t mind this K 45 (pic 1 ) sitting beside my 44, but he,s got $20k as a starting bid. ( been put up three times on E bay but no bids yet ) I saw a much higher figure on another sight. For us this is a hobby, we can,t always get the car we want at the lowest price. Otherwise we may be waiting a long time. I don,t have enough years left to wait too long.

post-64273-143142856697_thumb.jpg

post-64273-143142856705_thumb.jpg

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

Guest 22Coupe

Tom,

If the engine runs and the interior is somewhat okay, to me, it is a $9000-$9500 car. If it still looks as good as the pictures. The car is close to you. I paid $8700 for a similar running car and then another $1600 to have it shipped across the country. It all comes down to what you are willing to pay for it. I have since put another $2000 into the car and still need to have the top redone. It is a labor of love. You will not get that money back if you choose to sell later on. I enjoy the car and want to keep it as long as my health allows me to.

Cheers,

Gary

Tom,

If the engine runs and the interior is somewhat okay, to me, it is a $9000-$9500 car. If it still looks as good as the pictures. The car is close to you. I paid $8700 for a similar running car and then another $1600 to have it shipped across the country. It all comes down to what you are willing to pay for it. I have since put another $2000 into the car and still need to have the top redone. It is a labor of love. You will not get that money back if you choose to sell later on. I enjoy the car and want to keep it as long as my health allows me to.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary and all...thanks for the perspective on price.. Interior seemed good it ran good 12 years ago started with the hand crank first try.I upped my offer to $9K the guy is firm $10K....even though it is close I'll pass on it for now. If this was going to be my first and/or only car I would go $10K, but hardly fits my situation. I was counting up the old cars that have come and gone in the last 15 years (22 total) I like to bring them back to life,make them reliable and drive them for a couple of years and start over. Key to doing that is not to lose money on them or at least to break even. The teens and 20's cars especially seem to be diminishing in value but they are so much fun to drive.

• 1 month later...
Gary and all...thanks for the perspective on price.. Interior seemed good it ran good 12 years ago started with the hand crank first try.I upped my offer to $9K the guy is firm $10K....even though it is close I'll pass on it for now. If this was going to be my first and/or only car I would go $10K, but hardly fits my situation. I was counting up the old cars that have come and gone in the last 15 years (22 total) I like to bring them back to life,make them reliable and drive them for a couple of years and start over. Key to doing that is not to lose money on them or at least to break even. The teens and 20's cars especially seem to be diminishing in value but they are so much fun to drive.

Well thought it over and decided to come to terms at $10K...too much money but I have been chasing this one for 12 years...made an appointment to inspect it tomorrow. After all that the old guy called me back and said his wife and kids wanted him to keep it so he decided not to sell it. Not sure how many wives and kids really want to deal with broken down 100 year old cars at the end game, I guess he just did not want to part with it...chase is over I conquered this bite of Buick fever without laying out $10K.

Tom:

As I have said before I am still kicking myself from not getting your 1923-49. But that was my problem. You really tried to work with me! Also even before when I was looking for "The Driver Buick".

I have been in the same quandary over the 1925-45 Dwight and I helped get running 2 years ago. They insisted that they had to sell their departed fathers stuff. Who had restored it in the 1960s. They wanted to play with the car a bit before they sold it and have done some cobbled up repairs to keep it barely running. I believe they are thinking that it should bring over $10,000 in its present condition. But they would not say what they would accept. I had made an offer at that time and have resubmitted it twice so far. Their comment is "that it isn't eating anything". Last year when you got the lead on the 1925-54 chassis near you in the woods. I tried to either buy their 25-45 and get the 25-54 chassis for parts. Or, try to get them to commit to keeping their car and them getting the parts car before it was gone forever. Nonetheless nothing has changed. Last summer I was invited to take it for a drive around the local farm roads. When we got the car running the year before I said they would need to reline the non-existent brakes before they took it out on the road. When I drove it this summer he said that he adjusted the brakes! I could tell as soon as I turned down their farm lane there was still no brakes. Also the front end /steering was so loose I had to make 1/2 revolution turns with the steering wheel to keep it on the road. What a thrill! Considering that the switch unit had totally crumbled and was hanging from the dash. The fuel tank still needed to be redone. The heat riser from the carb had been cracked and patched. Also the peeling bizarre "Earl Shieb"light blue paint job over top of the correct dark blue lacquer that was done in the 1960s. After my drive I knew the $7,500 I previously had offered was too much.

So I have talked myself out of it again!

post-79073-143142921754_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142921744_thumb.jpg

Tom:

As I have said before I am still kicking myself from not getting your 1923-49. But that was my problem. You really tried to work with me! Also even before when I was looking for "The Driver Buick".

I have been in the same quandary over the 1925-45 Dwight and I helped get running 2 years ago. They insisted that they had to sell their departed fathers stuff. Who had restored it in the 1960s. They wanted to play with the car a bit before they sold it and have done some cobbled up repairs to keep it barely running. I believe they are thinking that it should bring over $10,000 in its present condition. But they would not say what they would accept. I had made an offer at that time and have resubmitted it twice so far. Their comment is "that it isn't eating anything". Last year when you got the lead on the 1925-54 chassis near you in the woods. I tried to either buy their 25-45 and get the 25-54 chassis for parts. Or, try to get them to commit to keeping their car and them getting the parts car before it was gone forever. Nonetheless nothing has changed. Last summer I was invited to take it for a drive around the local farm roads. When we got the car running the year before I said they would need to reline the non-existent brakes before they took it out on the road. When I drove it this summer he said that he adjusted the brakes! I could tell as soon as I turned down their farm lane there was still no brakes. Also the front end /steering was so loose I had to make 1/2 revolution turns with the steering wheel to keep it on the road. What a thrill! Considering that the switch unit had totally crumbled and was hanging from the dash. The fuel tank still needed to be redone. The heat riser from the carb had been cracked and patched. Also the peeling bizarre "Earl Shieb"light blue paint job over top of the correct dark blue lacquer that was done in the 1960s. After my drive I knew the $7,500 I previously had offered was too much.

So I have talked myself out of it again!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289614[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]289615[/ATTACH]

For you the chase was fun...$10k as described seems high at $7500 and fairly local delivery still a reasonable deal...are the steering sector halves the same as a 23? If so I could send them out to you if you do get the car at the right price someday.