Correct tranny fluid?

Guest TJDasen2

Guest TJDasen2

Hi everyone, hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm taking my newly aquired '91 TC to the mechanic on Tuesday and am having him do all the usual things one does when a new/old car comes into the fold. Brakes, hoses, belts, radiator and tranny flush and fill. I know somewhere I read something about the transmission fluid must be something with a 4 in it, but I cannot find it for the life of me. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Anything else I should have him take a look at? It's an old timey shop and they've worked on my family's cars for 30 years. I don't know what I'll do when he retires.

Tim Dasenbrock

Southern Illinois

Hi everyone, hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm taking my newly aquired '91 TC to the mechanic on Tuesday and am having him do all the usual things one does when a new/old car comes into the fold. Brakes, hoses, belts, radiator and tranny flush and fill. I know somewhere I read something about the transmission fluid must be something with a 4 in it, but I cannot find it for the life of me. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Anything else I should have him take a look at? It's an old timey shop and they've worked on my family's cars for 30 years. I don't know what I'll do when he retires.

Tim Dasenbrock

Southern Illinois

ATF 4 is the tranny fluid, Chrysler has a special number for this stuff and if you get one of the good name brand products it should be Chrysler certified for use.

Going to the trusted family mechanic I expect he will give the car a very good once over and while it's up on the hoist he will probably give you the full under car tour and you should make sure you have time to be there for the under car inspection.

If you want to know what to do after your trusted mechanic retires spend some time with him now. Work for nothing if you have to and learn all that you can while you can. Living in Illinois you have no idea how much money you will save in your lifetime if the only thing you learn is how to heat a rusty nut so you can take it off and not break it off.

Guest TJDasen2

Excellent information. Thanks very much.

"If you want to know what to do after your trusted mechanic retires spend some time with him now. Work for nothing if you have to and learn all that you can while you can. Living in Illinois you have no idea how much money you will save in your lifetime if the only thing you learn is how to heat a rusty nut so you can take it off and not break it off."

I've actually suggested this to the shop owner, but shop insurance doesn't allow for it.

Thanks again for your quick answers.

Tim Dasenbrock

Southern Illinois

Excellent information. Thanks very much.

"If you want to know what to do after your trusted mechanic retires spend some time with him now. Work for nothing if you have to and learn all that you can while you can. Living in Illinois you have no idea how much money you will save in your lifetime if the only thing you learn is how to heat a rusty nut so you can take it off and not break it off."

I've actually suggested this to the shop owner, but shop insurance doesn't allow for it.

Thanks again for your quick answers.

Tim Dasenbrock

Southern Illinois

It's a private shop not a chain, bring doughnuts to say thanks for the good work, bring enough for everyone and a couple of extras. Even better is to bring an assortment. Do this a couple, three times a month for the next couple three months and try again. If they are busy while you're there offer to catch the bay door, it takes time to get a car in and out of a bay, if you can shave 30 seconds off the time the door is open in the winter you can save him $5 on the heat bill. Offer to lend a hand here or there, don't push the point. Don't get in the way. Prove yourself useful, the crew will accept you and the shop insurance stops being an issue.