1933 Chrysler CO six convertible sedan two doors from Portugal

Portugal

hi,

i'am new here in Forum,

I own a colection of antique Cars in Lisbon, Portugal.

I have an very beautiful Chrysler CO model from 1933 two doors sedan convertible ,

but very strange rear, I look around and never saw another one with that trunk,

can it Be a prototype or something like it ?

so what can you help me ???

post-104715-143142854881_thumb.jpg

post-104715-143142854856_thumb.jpg

There were a lot of custom bodied cars overseas. Interestingly, the rear looks more like a 1936. Is there a body tag on it with some body maker's name? Neat car. Here is another example of a custom bodied 1933 Chrysler....

post-37352-143142854914_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I agree this is a coachbuilt body and would look to Spanish and Portugese body builders of the era for possible names. Builder identification is typically at bottom outside of cowl on opposite side from the driver (in this case left cowl). Body numbers, sometimes with a name plate are often affixed to the floor wood or steel inside the door opposite the driver and UNDER the floor mat or carpeting.

One possibility of a Spain coachbuilder who used Chrysler chassis is Capella:

http://www.coachbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=5321

Looking forward to your findings.

Edited by StillOutThere (see edit history)

I cannot upload photos !!!!

today later I Will try again....

so here are the only numbers that I saw.

in cowl , BODY NUMBER - CO - 186 CS

inside door plate , SERIAL NUMBER - 6583968

Engine number - CO-9479

about body buldiers, in this times there are no Bodies buildersin Portugal,and

the "work" is very well made, I can risk that this body is factory body.

fernando

I am also working on a 33 Conv Sdn, but mine is a CT (8 cyl), Your rear body section appears to have been grafted on. Looking at the rear fenders versus the original fronts, they appear to be a later 30's something. Maybe I have bad eyes, but this does not appear to be original coach building, but later add on. Look at the rear of the top on the Euro coach built photo, the top goes below the belt line tapering to the rear panel, where as his appears to be the original configuration as Chrysler built it. Wonderful car, definitely worth rebuilding and given the option of going back to original or fabricating something more "European" as the owner wishes. I have had difficulty downloading photos on this sight, but if Portugal wishes to contact me I would be happy to supply photos and possibly patterns and castings as needed.

Rob

hattiesgarage@comcast.net

Portugal....can you please post a closer photo of the trunk lid handle? That may help us determine what was used to extend the trunk area. That one looks sort of like a 1940 Chrysler handle, to me.

Her is the Best that I can get,

tomorow I Will take a better one.

post-104715-143142858493_thumb.jpg

I agree this is a coachbuilt body and would look to Spanish and Portugese body builders of the era for possible names. Builder identification is typically at bottom outside of cowl on opposite side from the driver (in this case left cowl). Body numbers, sometimes with a name plate are often affixed to the floor wood or steel inside the door opposite the driver and UNDER the floor mat or carpeting.

One possibility of a Spain coachbuilder who used Chrysler chassis is Capella: post-104715-143142858522_thumb.jpg

http://www.coachbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=5321

Looking forward to your findings.

Today I resized the Photos and here they are.

post-104715-143142858494_thumb.jpg

post-59101-143142869345_thumb.jpg

Throwing in a few here. From L to R The RearDeck Handle of a 40 Chrysler which I believe is very similar to the one in Protugal. A 36 Plymouth Cvt UK build and branded as Chrysler, an original 33 Chrysler 2d Cvt Sedan, a 37 Plymouth built by Tücher in Switzerland, and the rears of a 37/38 Imperial Cvt Sd and a 40 Chrysler Cp with that specific handle. None of those have a rear deck similar to the POR car, leading me to believe that it might be a rearended car which some talented guy grafted a ca 1940 rear onto.

post-59101-143142869058_thumb.jpg

post-59101-143142869066_thumb.jpg

post-59101-143142869328_thumb.jpg

post-59101-143142869349_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Narve N (see edit history)

• 11 months later...
Guest Chrysler from France

Hi Portugal,

Very nice and interiesting car indeed. I agree with Vintchry : a more recent trunk part has been fitted to the stock Convertible Sedan from 1933.

I must confess the genuine trunk is far too small, just a tool box ! I have built a large one that I bolt on my own CO Convertible Sedan 33 when I'm rallying with 3 passengers.

Did you worked on it ? Have you got other pictures ? I guess you may know a common friend from Lisbon, who runs Garage Hotchkiss.

My regards

post-137524-0-19164300-1447941987_thumb.