1952 Buick Super hydraulic window cylinder

Guest lupocamino

Guest lupocamino

Hi friends,

in my 52 Conv. the right power window is always running down over night.

Next morning I move it up again with the hydraulic pump. So I think, a part of the hydraulic cylinder in the right door is damaged.

But in the shop manual I cannot find out if the cylinder is made of several parts or an encapsulated piece that must be replaced completely.

Does one of you have some information about that or, even better, a picture that shows the cylinder?

Many thanks in advance for your replies,

Wolfgang

If your window cylinder is leaking down overnight, you will have to replace it with a new one. These cylinders have an electrically operated valve which is an integral part of the assembly and not readily repairable. New cylinders are available from a variety of sources. Hydro-E-Lectric is a supplier who has been around a long time and carries these parts. You can find them here: http://www.hydroe.com/

When you have the door taken apart to access the cylinder, you might also want to check the condition of the flexible hose that connects the door to the cowl, if it looks questionable it would be a good time to replace it.

Good luck with your repair, hope this helps.

Guest lupocamino

Hi 48Super

and sorry for my late reply. I was out yesterday and today I had the order from the best wife on earth to prepare all the christmas accessories.....

Very many thanks for your infos. So it seems to me as if I really had to replace my whole cylinder. Somehow this window on the passengerside makes me a little confused. Today I inspected it and it had stayed closed since yesterday afternoon!!! Normally nnext morning it is open at least half...

So still I am not yet sure if replacing the cylinder will eliminate my problem. But I will observe it carefully the next days.

Happy pre-christmas-time,

Wolfgang from Germany

Edited by lupocamino
wrong spelling (see edit history)

Hello Wolfgang,

From what you are describing, I think the solenoid valve in your cylinder is either sticking or not sealing properly intermittently. The window cylinder is a single-acting cylinder which means it is only powered in one direction. When you operate the switch to close the window, the solenoid valve opens and the pump runs which allows pressurized fluid to enter the cylinder and raise the window. When the window is raised and you operate the switch to lower it, the solenoid valve opens and large springs in the window mechanism pull the window down. When the window is raised the fluid in the cylinder is always under pressure because the springs are constantly pulling down on the mechanism. If there is and dirt on the valve seat or the valve sticks, fluid can leak out gradually and the window will open. I hope this does not confuse you and I think you will need to replace the cylinder. Good Luck with your car.