Aluminum body

Curti

We have a 1933 Austin '65' Nippy which came from the factory with an aluminum body. I have straightened the panels as best as I can.

Is there anything special about doing body work on aluminum as opposed to steel?

I also would like to correspond with someone that has a '65'. There seem to be many subtle differences between this and a Nippy.

There has been a lot of discussion on another forum about the new aluminum bodied Ford F150. The consensus being that as far as knocking dents out there isn't a great deal of difference with steel. Tools which have been used on steel should not have any steel filings, etc. on them because the filings can be driven into the aluminum. Aluminum tends to get brittle with age. It should also be etched before painting otherwise paint will not adhere to it. As keiser31 said, the big difference is welding which is definitely not the same as steel.

Terry

All of the welding and patch panels have been done by a professional. The time is nearing to commence the body work.

Terry, I should have put 'Nippy' in quotes rather than 65. I an aware of the technicality. Do you have a 65?

Oops! Your response was posted while I was typing mine. No, I don't have a 65. For many years our family cars were Austins, so I have always had an interest in them. Besides, at 6' 5" I wouldn't fit. :( A friend has a 1925 Chummy and there ain't no way I fit it.

Terry

Terry, there is a PPG product called 'aluma-prep, I suspect that or a facsimile is what you are speaking of. I am only 5'7" so I fit in it OK. Actually it is my wife's car. She has been patiently waiting for me to fininsh it.

About everything is done but the body work.