1955 T BIRD THROTTLE LINKAGE

Guest Tbird55

Guest Tbird55

Hello

Has anyone modified their throttle linkage and replaced it using a cable connection, if so I would be pleased to hear how this was done.

Thank you and regards

There's a number of reasons to do that, in my case rusted floorboards and badly worn linage. I no longer needed the "push thru linkage", as the O/D was replaced with a T-5.

I used a Lokar unit, firewall mounted, and a cable above. I made a spacer about 2" thick. The spacer goes on the firewall, with the dash pad cut, and the pedal bolts thru it and thru the firewall. I used a piece of 2x2 aluminum angle to make a bracket to mount on the intake and tie that end down. Works well, and has for ten years. Could be done with a hacksaw, drill and file, but a sanding belt and drill press really help.

i could have pictures next week if you desire.

Guest Tbird55

Hello Miker 98038

How are you. Thank you for the reply I would be very interested to see those pictures. I have not the comment on the Lokar unit. I am considering going to cable to make the throttle operate smoothly, currently very stiff to operate. I am though going to see if the mechanism on the car now is set-up correctly before doing any modifications. There must be something not quite right / as it should be as I have never had a gas pedal so hard to operate.

Regards

TBird

Hi T-Bird55,

Before you start changing things I would suggest you go through the whole linkage to see what is binding. When I first got my car it would barely go over 60 mph. I checked things out and found that the rod that went from the accelerator pedal to the linkage was installed incorrectly and I wasn't getting full travel of the pedal. Once I fixed that I had a sports car again. I also have a friend that was having problems and after checking things out found that he had a bent bracket that was causing a problem. Once he bent it back into shape the problem went away. This is just my opinion, but I would try to fix the problem rather than changing the whole setup. If you believe you can improve on what Ford engineers designed in 1955 then have at it. I hope you are able to find the problem, because that is certainly not normal.

Regards,

Guest Tbird55

Hello Lew

I agree with you, to change what the engineers initially designed one has to be very sure on what they are doing. I am going to do as you say check out the whole linkage and how it works without any springs - and see if I can find the problem and fix it (it must be something out of whack - or it would not be so hard to work) - if all else fails last option I will modify it with a cable set-up but I am sure it will be in the mechanism

PS you may recall the earlier post on the suspension part, I finally got the correct part which fits as it should and brings the tie-rods back into alignment.

Regards

TBird55

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tbird55

Hello Lew

I checked the accelerator linkage, the rod was binding on a bracket and not set correctly. I think once this is dismantled and re-installed with free movement, it should fix this problem. I really do not want to a cable set-up, from your description it seems the rod and bracket could be a common problem

Regards

Ian

Glad you're making progress. Depending on the transmission, there are some tricks for setting it up. Pretty straightforward for a 3 speed, a lttle more complicated for a 3 sp O/D, and more for a Fordo. Once you get it working smoothly, if it's other than a 3 speed, you might check the manual, or ask here. It's been too many years since I did either to clearly remember.