Canadian Pontiacs question

X-Frame

General and hopefully an easy question to answer?

Why did Canada opt to use a Chevrolet chassis and drivetrain under their Pontiac models instead of Pontiac platforms? In particular I am thinking of the 1950s-1960s. And extend their use beyond what the American market had?

Thanks!

Eric

I believe part of the reason why was economics and the limited number of buyers in Canada. About 10% of the US market from what I understand. But, wouldn't that be an incentive to make Chevrolets on Chevy platforms rather than Pontiac skins having to be retooled to fit the Chevy dimensions if economics are involved?

Eric

There was a very good article about this subject in Collectible Automobile magazine. I'll have to see if I can find it. I think they did an article on Canadian Pontiacs. If not, they did one on Canadian Meteors, which explained the reasons at to why. Of course, Meteors weren't much more than gussied-up Fords. Not only did Pontiac have the Chevrolet frame and running gear, but the had Pontiac sheetmetal and interiors with Chevrolet dashes and steering columns/wheels.

Paul

There was a very good article about this subject in Collectible Automobile magazine. I'll have to see if I can find it. I think they did an article on Canadian Pontiacs. If not, they did one on Canadian Meteors, which explained the reasons at to why. Of course, Meteors weren't much more than gussied-up Fords. Not only did Pontiac have the Chevrolet frame and running gear, but the had Pontiac sheetmetal and interiors with Chevrolet dashes and steering columns/wheels.

Paul

Hope you can find the article. But with the Pontiacs they had to change the sheet metal too because they were an inch or two shorter than the American version Pontiacs. You know how an inch here or there can make a big difference in a lot of things :rolleyes:

Not only did Pontiac have the Chevrolet frame and running gear, but the had Pontiac sheetmetal and interiors with Chevrolet dashes and steering columns/wheels.

Paul

I don't know about the 1950s cars, but in the 1960s, the Canadian Pontiacs were Chevrolets with unique grilles. Look at the Beaumont. It's a Chevelle with a different grille and taillights. The sheet metal is otherwise the same:

post-48036-143142851382_thumb.jpg

post-48036-143142851389_thumb.jpg

post-48036-143142851373_thumb.jpg

post-48036-143142851386_thumb.jpeg

The reason for doing a separate car from the USA model was due to Canadian import laws at the time. This changed with the new Auto Pact Bill signed between US & Canada in the late 60's, took effect for the 70 model year. The Canadian Pontiacs used US dash, interior & sheet metal for the most part. But SOME sheet metal was different due to the length of the US cars that are longer than a Chev. Also here in Canada we built RHD Pontiac's in knock down form for the British Commonwealth nations and South Africa. The rHD cars used a Chev dash panel modified and molded in fiberglass on some years.

Other European countries as well as South American got the left hand drive. They were sub assembled in Canada, mostly Oshawa Ontario and final assembly all over the world. Again mostly due to trade agreements and high tariffs on US goods abroad.

The most common engines were Chev small blocks and the inline 6 StoveBolt that was bored to 261 C.I. for Pontiac exclusively. I had quite a number of Poncho's growing up here in Canada. My favorite one was a 64 Parisenne with a 409,3 speed stick. If you want more info just go to Canadian Poncho website www.canadianponcho.activeboard.com

We always welcome new members!!

The reason for doing a separate car from the USA model was due to Canadian import laws at the time. This changed with the new Auto Pact Bill signed between US & Canada in the late 60's, took effect for the 70 model year. The Canadian Pontiacs used US dash, interior & sheet metal for the most part. But SOME sheet metal was different due to the length of the US cars that are longer than a Chev. Also here in Canada we built RHD Pontiac's in knock down form for the British Commonwealth nations and South Africa. The rHD cars used a Chev dash panel modified and molded in fiberglass on some years.

Other European countries as well as South American got the left hand drive. They were sub assembled in Canada, mostly Oshawa Ontario and final assembly all over the world. Again mostly due to trade agreements and high tariffs on US goods abroad.

The most common engines were Chev small blocks and the inline 6 StoveBolt that was bored to 261 C.I. for Pontiac exclusively. I had quite a number of Poncho's growing up here in Canada. My favorite one was a 64 Parisenne with a 409,3 speed stick. If you want more info just go to Canadian Poncho website www.canadianponcho.activeboard.com

We always welcome new members!!

In addition to sheet metal Canadian Pontiacs' had no Pontiac engines , transmissions , rear ends and chassis/ frame and Wide Track. Comparing a 1959 Canadian Pontiac to a 59 U.S. version it is painfully obvious why Knudsen widened the U.S. cars track.

Cost, and dodging import duties.

The Canadian market was only 1/10 or less the size of the US market. They could not justify tooling up to make Pontiacs in Canada, but could justify a modified Chev with Pontiac name plates.

The Auto Pact was signed in 1966, this allowed them to swap cars and parts across the border as long as the amounts were roughly equal.

In other words, if you buy a Chev car or Dodge van in the US, and the ID plate says Made in Canada, you can be sure a Canadian is buying a Chev pickup or Dodge car made in the US.

It just makes sense to have 1 car factory and 1 pickup truck factory, instead of duplicating everything twice on both sides of the border.

You may even see a mid eighties Pontiac Parisienne in the US. A full size Chev rear drive sedan, they kept making them in Canada after they stopped making them in the US and for a few years, imported them to the US dealers.

Thanks everyone for all of the input. It helps clarify "why" except for one anomaly. I am still puzzled as how they felt like they saved money by basically retrofitting Pontiac skins to Chevy chassis especially when Pontiac switch to the wide-track configuration in 1959?

Thanks everyone for all of the input. It helps clarify "why" except for one anomaly. I am still puzzled as how they felt like they saved money by basically retrofitting Pontiac skins to Chevy chassis especially when Pontiac switch to the wide-track configuration in 1959?

I can only tell you what one of my Pontiac books describing the 59 Canadian Pontiac cars says;

The American Pontiac's with their far higher sticker prices and higher cost of operation would have had much less appeal in Canada whose population, 1/10th the size of the U.S., was less stratified society with a lower disposable income, more prudent spending and savings sensibilities with far higher taxes and gasoline prices. But the main factor for GM to build a Canadian Pontiac was the stiff import tariff imposed on new American Pontiac's coming into Canada.

Utilizing the GM assembly plant in Oshawa Ontario, the success of Pontiac in Canada was so good that it held third behind Chevrolet and Ford production.

1959 U.S. production of 59 Pontiac's was # 2 in GM sales at 383,320 . Chevrolet U.S. sales were 1,481,071. Canadian 1959 Pontiac production was 57,129 which was only 8,000 units behind Chevrolet at 68,578.

I know from coming from a Pontiac and Olds family that the general consensus of Pontiac owner friends and family was that we all felt the same about Canadian Pontiac's as we did about Ford and Mercury. That was, who in their right mind would buy a Mercury over a Ford, when the Ford had the same running gear for the most part as the Mercury. While in the U.S. GM stable for example in 1959 each division was different. If you bought a base Chevrolet Impala with a automatic you got a straight six with a two speed powerglide. If you bought a base automatic 1959 Catalina ( the cheapest model ) you got a 389 cu. inch 280hp. V-8 and a four speed HydraMatic. As for the Canadian Pontiac's.... in our mind was not even considered a Pontiac. Growing up in that era most of us always felt that the driveline and in particular the engine was the heart and soul of the brand.

Thanks helfen. I understand that part. I guess what I was saying (asking) is how did they see altering the tool molds to press smaller Pontiac body panels and parts that fit a Chevrolet chassis is cost effective? Or was it a cheaper alternative than using American dimensions and simply change the frame dimensions to accommodate the body. I know that Chevy and Pontiac used basically the same tubular center-x chassis with some suspension outrigger differences but still similar enough to make it work with minor alterations. Make minor changes to the chassis to mate with full size Pontiac body parts already tooled in America?

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

Here is what I would do if you really want to know what went on in the mind of Pontiac or Pontiac engineering. Most of the guys that made those kind of decisions have unfortunately passed on. There is one guy from Pontiac engineering who started at Pontiac engineering in 1954 and was one part of the three engineers that created the GTO, and left Pontiac to go with John DeLorean to make the DeLorean Motor car. His name is Bill Collins. Bill has recently done two interviews to Hemmings classic Car magazine Oct 2014 and I think Nov 2014. See if the Magazine will give you his number or help you in any way. Also a good friend to me and all Pontiac guys who was the account manager for Pontiac's add agency from Bunkie Knudsen's time to the end of John DeLorean's tenure at Pontiac ( end of 1969 ). His name is Jim Wangers. That agency was responsible for the whole wide track idea and promotion, for the GTO Tiger theme, to the GREAT ONE theme ect. Jim was also responsible for the idea of using a shoe company to promote Pontiac, remember the Thom Mc Cann GTO shoes. Jim even got Ronny & The Daytona' s to do a hit song to help promote the Pontiac GTO. The song is called GTO, sometimes interpreted incorrectly as Lil'GTO. Just Google Jim Wangers and I'm sure you can talk to him. Not only does Jim know the advertising angle, he's a expert at product planning and marketing and a great guy.

Thanks for all of the leads helfen! I believe I had contacted Jim in the past about other questions but not this one and will also look into the other people as well. Funny you mentioned a song about the GTO. I remember the song done in later years (1969) for The Judge model sung by Paul Revere and the Raiders. The former lead and keyboard artist Paul Revere died October 4th this year at his home in Idaho at age 76.

Thanks for all of the leads helfen! I believe I had contacted Jim in the past about other questions but not this one and will also look into the other people as well. Funny you mentioned a song about the GTO. I remember the song done in later years (1969) for The Judge model sung by Paul Revere and the Raiders. The former lead and keyboard artist Paul Revere died October 4th this year at his home in Idaho at age 76.

Yes I remember those songs. Jim just knew how to keep the pulse running at Pontiac as far as advertising went. Always with a ear to the ground to pick up the pulse of what's happening on the street. See the links;

[h=2]

[/h]<cite>www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEpyV0x4PtI</cite>

[h=2]

[/h]<cite>www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5LIz7j-IvU</cite>

They saved money by paying $500,000 to tool up 1/10 of a car instead of $10,000,000 for a whole car. Then they saved more money by using cheap Chevrolet engines, trans, chassis, etc instead of more expensive Pontiac parts. Then they saved some taxes by building them in Canada rather than importing them from the US. Then they saved more money by not stocking and selling parts for 2 completely different cars.

Chevs and Pontiacs were made in Canada but some of the large low production cars were imported. All Cadillacs for example, and Buick Roadmasters were imported or in some years in the early fifties, simply not available.

No Pontiac straight eights were made in Canada but some were imported. I have seen sixties GTOs and Firebirds that must have been imported but don't know if they were sold by Pontiac dealers or imported privately as used cars.

This thread started by asking about the '50s and '60s. I'm going to throw in an observation from memory, which is fleeting and may be wrong.

In 1946 my father was transferred to the Canadian office of his company. Of course, the whole family went, too. I was 9, but already a car nut. Dad's car was a '41 Packard 110, bought just before the war and not yet replaced. The man who soon became his best friend in Canada (or anywhere else!) was driving a Canadian Pontiac, about a '39. I remember (correctly?? it's almost 70 years ago, and I was 9) him making a trip to the States in that car, stopping for some routine service, and being told to his surprise that it had Chevy running gear. If this is correct, the Canadian badge engineering started before WWII.

This thread started by asking about the '50s and '60s. I'm going to throw in an observation from memory, which is fleeting and may be wrong.

In 1946 my father was transferred to the Canadian office of his company. Of course, the whole family went, too. I was 9, but already a car nut. Dad's car was a '41 Packard 110, bought just before the war and not yet replaced. The man who soon became his best friend in Canada (or anywhere else!) was driving a Canadian Pontiac, about a '39. I remember (correctly?? it's almost 70 years ago, and I was 9) him making a trip to the States in that car, stopping for some routine service, and being told to his surprise that it had Chevy running gear. If this is correct, the Canadian badge engineering started before WWII.

You are correct that Chevy based Pontiacs were built long "before" WWII. Here is a background history at the GM Heritage site:

https://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/Canada_Only_General_Motors_Cars

Eric

Pontiac Division in the US didn't have much to do with designing Canadian Pontiacs. And yes, these unique Canadian models started in the thirties.

The tie in between GM and the McLaughlin Carriage Company goes back to 1912 when Col. Sam McLaughlin reached an agreement with his old friend Billy Durant to buy Buick chassis, fit them with bodies of their own design and manufacture, and sell them as McLaughlin-Buicks.

Since McLaughlin started building horse drawn vehicles in 1867, this makes GM of Canada the oldest vehicle maker in the world, predating Mercedes Benz by 9 years, GM by 30 years, and Rolls Royce by 40 years.

This is interesting stuff to me as I have a friend who owns a stunning, tricked out, Canadian built '52 Pontiac Chieftain.

He knows about this thread.

Your friends car is a "A" body, and all Pontiac's rode on a "A" body from 1949-1958, 1959 cars were "B" bodies. Meaning from the front cowl back is the same. The interesting part about the 49-1952 post war bodies is the basic body is shared between Chevrolet, all Pontiac's and Olds 88. The chassis/frame for those three cars is different. The Chevrolet has a 115" wheelbase with leaf springs in the rear and a closed driveshaft, Olds has a 119.5" wheelbase, coil springs in the rear and a open driveshaft. Pontiac (U.S. Pontiac) has a 120" wheelbase, leaf springs and a open driveshaft. The Pontiac has the longest wheelbase ( all the extra length in the front end) because of the straight eight engine. Canadian Pontiac's in those years were called "stubbies" and or "snub nose's" because their front end fenders were as short as a Chevrolet and styling wise didn't quite look as well proportioned as the U.S. version.

I will tell you something else. In 1954 Pontiac came out with a new model called StarChief, though the car was built as a "A" body it had a longer wheelbase and a trunk extension making it look as big as GM "B" bodies. This lasted in the series through the 58 model year. A FYI the 57 and 58 Bonneville and 55-57 Safari wagon were built on the short wheelbase Chieftain chassis.

In 1953 and 54 U.S. Pontiac's receive a chassis/frame change ( besides the 54 StarChief long deck ) in the form of front frame and steering box/ shaft location. The reason for this change is U.S. Pontiac's were supposed to get their V-8 engine, so if you look at the chassis /frame of those cars the V-8 is frame ready. The reason the Pontiac engine was held back for two years was Buick was introducing the new nail head V-8 and didn't want another division to steal away it's news. Buick pleaded it's case to Corporate and Corporate held Pontiac back.

Many people of those times considered Pontiac to be a old mans car or the most conservative of the five divisions. The image problem wasn't Pontiac's fault, it was the Corporations fault, in engineering and in styling. GM's Art and Color department controlled how the cars looked. In the years before Knudsen (1957) the corporation was the one that made people think Pontiac was a old mans car.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

They saved money by paying $500,000 to tool up 1/10 of a car instead of $10,000,000 for a whole car. Then they saved more money by using cheap Chevrolet engines, trans, chassis, etc instead of more expensive Pontiac parts. Then they saved some taxes by building them in Canada rather than importing them from the US. Then they saved more money by not stocking and selling parts for 2 completely different cars.

I see your logic to a point but not 100% yet ;) What I am saying if the tooling was done for lets say a 1961 Pontiac in the states but Canada still wanted to use their Chevy chassis which is not a match size wise... why not alter a frame that can easily be modified rather than tool a second set of complete body parts narrower and shorter in size than the American counterpart? I would think modifying a frame to fit the American body would be cheaper than reinventing the wheel tooling all the Pontiac body parts over especially when you are talking such low sales numbers? Which is the lesser of the two evils? To me altering the frame to fit preexisting parts would be cheaper. Not importing American parts but using American ready engineered die designs to make them in Canada. Altering an existing Canadian Chevy chassis since they won't be going back in time but forward and the X will be dropped in a few years anyway?

American Pontiac dropped the X in 1961. American Chevrolet in 1965. Canadian Pontiac didn't drop theirs until the same year Chevy did in America.

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

You are correct that Chevy based Pontiacs were built long "before" WWII. Here is a background history at the GM Heritage site:

https://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/Canada_Only_General_Motors_Cars

Eric

Many people don't realize Pontiac built cars on "A" and "B" bodies, and for two years 1940-41 Pontiac also built cars on the "A","B" and "C" or Cadillac chassis.

If I was collecting prewar Pontiac's the models I would pick the 1932 model 302 ( Pontiac's first V-8 ). 1933-34, 1933 being the first straight eight and the use of the "Bentley" laid back grille. or the 1940-41 "C" bodied coupe or four door. From 1942 and 46-48 Pontiac only built "A" and "B" bodied cars.

This is interesting stuff to me as I have a friend who owns a stunning, tricked out, Canadian built '52 Pontiac Chieftain.

He knows about this thread.

Your friends car is a "A" body, and all Pontiac's rode on a "A" body from 1949-1958, 1959 cars were "B" bodies.etc;

There is an amazing amount of knowledge around these parts........ :)

American tractor builders did much the same thing in order to circumvent import/export duties/tariffs/taxes which was good for both countries.

It created a lot of jobs in Canada, a lot of revenue for American based companies and provided Canadians with products they needed and wanted at better prices.

I see your logic to a point but not 100% yet ;) What I am saying if the tooling was done for lets say a 1961 Pontiac in the states but Canada still wanted to use their Chevy chassis which is not a match size wise... why not alter a frame that can easily be modified rather than tool a second set of complete body parts narrower and shorter in size than the American counterpart? I would think modifying a frame to fit the American body would be cheaper than reinventing the wheel tooling all the Pontiac body parts over especially when you are talking such low sales numbers? Which is the lesser of the two evils? To me altering the frame to fit preexisting parts would be cheaper. Not importing American parts but using American ready engineered die designs to make them in Canada. Altering an existing Canadian Chevy chassis since they won't be going back in time but forward and the X will be dropped in a few years anyway?

Take 1961 as a example since you used that year. In 61 Pontiac ( in full size cars) had switched from the X frame to a boxed perimeter frame, Rear steering ( different front Chevrolet front steering), rear of the frame has new locating points for a new four link coil rear end. If you look at the front end of a 61 Canadian Pontiac even the radiator core support is all Chevy. Instead of changing any frame/chassis it is much easier to make dies for a hood mounting and front fender mounting and that is all the change you need. From the cowl back, remember Chevrolet, Pontiac, 88 series Olds, and Buick LeSabre are on the "B" body since 1959, which means in Canadian Pontiac's the body, doors, dash, front doors, and rear quarters and trunk are the same as the U.S. counterpart. In fact the front fenders and hood may be the same. Also remember U.S. Pontiac's came in two wheel bases and two lengths. Starchief and Bonneville had 123" wheelbase while Catalina and Ventura was on a 119" wheelbase. Starchief and Bonneville were 7" longer than Catalina and Ventura.... all the length was in the trunk... so different rear fenders and deck lid. All 1961 Canadian Pontiac's were the same size as Catalina & Ventura. Stubbies no more.

Chevs and Pontiacs were made in Canada but some of the large low production cars were imported. All Cadillacs for example, and Buick Roadmasters were imported or in some years in the early fifties, simply not available.

No Pontiac straight eights were made in Canada but some were imported. I have seen sixties GTOs and Firebirds that must have been imported but don't know if they were sold by Pontiac dealers or imported privately as used cars.

I don't know the facts re GTOs but I know someone here in NZ who had a 1970 GTO that was built in Canada.

61 U.S. Catalina

503159_16842957_1961_Pontiac_Catalina.jpg

61 Canadian Pontiac

4719726250_2a0dab63f3_z.jpg

Comparing the Chevrolet X frame and narrow track to the Pontiac perimeter frame and wide track...very evident in the picture especially in the rear wheel location.

I don't know the facts re GTOs but I know someone here in NZ who had a 1970 GTO that was built in Canada.

What engines were in the GTO's? That's the tale of the tale.

There is an amazing amount of knowledge around these parts........ :)

American tractor builders did much the same thing in order to circumvent import/export duties/tariffs/taxes which was good for both countries.

It created a lot of jobs in Canada, a lot of revenue for American based companies and provided Canadians with products they needed and wanted at better prices.

Craig, we sure are blessed to have such minds who are willing to help answer questions. Sometimes mine get a bit technical but with good intent hoping someone will be reading that has the answers or know of someone who will. It just seems that the more I dig and the more people contribute, it often leads to new questions like mine above :D

helfen, my example many have been a poor choice because I have seen body dimensions off by an inch or two depending on year/model. With the Catalina v. Parisienne the body dimensions are the same. Even though the 1961 American version had a new perimeter boxed frame while the Canadian still had the Tubular Center-X (two completely different style frames) both were still 119" wb. Obviously the American "wide track" was wider front and rear equal at 62.5" while the Canadian car had front: 60.3" and rear: 59.3" treads which accounts for the rear wheel profile in your photo above even if it is only about 3" total difference. But it goes back to my original question even though the playing field has changed. Chassis changes. At this point they could have probably switched to the new style frame since the wheelbase is the same and continue using it past 1964 which was their last year for the X use? Or to keep the rear axle from looking short, switch differential housing and axle shaft sizes - a simple fix? Thanks for the comparison pictures. Visuals often help. I should try and find a more mismatched sized example :cool:

That is what puzzled me about the GTO and possibly Firebird. They were the only Pontiacs sold in Canada that had Pontiac engines. This led me to believe they imported those cars but maybe they imported the parts and assembled them in Canada. That doesn't make much sense because they only sold a few hundred or at most a few thousand. Maybe some GM insider knows the answer.

helfen, my example many have been a poor choice because I have seen body dimensions off by an inch or two depending on year/model. With the Catalina v. Parisienne the body dimensions are the same. Even though the 1961 American version had a new perimeter boxed frame while the Canadian still had the Tubular Center-X (two completely different style frames) both were still 119" wb. Obviously the American "wide track" was wider front and rear equal at 62.5" while the Canadian car had front: 60.3" and rear: 59.3" treads which accounts for the rear wheel profile in your photo above even if it is only about 3" total difference. But it goes back to my original question even though the playing field has changed. Chassis changes. At this point they could have probably switched to the new style frame since the wheelbase is the same and continue using it past 1964 which was their last year for the X use? Or to keep the rear axle from looking short, switch differential housing and axle shaft sizes - a simple fix? Thanks for the comparison pictures. Visuals often help. I should try and find a more mismatched sized example :cool:

Just a FYI about U.S. Pontiac of 1962, all Pontiac's grew 1.6" longer, and Catalina's wheelbase moves to 120". In 63-64 Pontiac increases track dimensions to 1960's Ft. & rear width at 64". 59's front tread was 63 7/8" & rear 64". From 1962 to 1964 the only U.S. Pontiac's with 119" wheelbase were the wagons.

Just a FYI Pontiac and Olds use the same third members ( pumpkins ) from 1957-1964, they make the Ford 9" look like kiddy pool with their massive 9.3" Ring gear. We used those rear ends in our funny car, and were the choice for many 57-late 60's dragsters. Our car put out over 1,000hp and they could easily take the power, before the day of computer analysis EVERYTHING was overbuilt!

That is what puzzled me about the GTO and possibly Firebird. They were the only Pontiacs sold in Canada that had Pontiac engines. This led me to believe they imported those cars but maybe they imported the parts and assembled them in Canada. That doesn't make much sense because they only sold a few hundred or at most a few thousand. Maybe some GM insider knows the answer.

Apparently they did make some GTO's at the Oshawa, Ontario and possibly the St. Therese, Quebec plant for 1970. Looking at the VIN number the seventh place will tell where it was built. 1 is Oshawa and 2 is St. Therese. If it is a letter then was built at one of the US plants.

Could be one of those situations where they swapped out one for one - one Canadian built car for one American import?

On a side note adding to another thread here, did the 1940 Chevrolet built in Canada and exported to Australia - did the Cabriolet (cabriolet/roadster) have the same oddball chassis with the weird X-like brace as the American counterpart or was it swapped out with the Holden type X used in '37-'39?

Apparently they did make some GTO's at the Oshawa, Ontario and possibly the St. Therese, Quebec plant for 1970. Looking at the VIN number the seventh place will tell where it was built. 1 is Oshawa and 2 is St. Therese. If it is a letter then was built at one of the US plants.

Could be one of those situations where they swapped out one for one - one Canadian built car for one American import?

The Auto Pact was in effect at that time (as of 1966). So they could have swapped cars and parts freely across the border. This would make tooling up for a unique model even more puzzling as there was no need for it.

The Auto Pact was in effect at that time (as of 1966). So they could have swapped cars and parts freely across the border. This would make tooling up for a unique model even more puzzling as there was no need for it.

One of my books on Pontiac says for 1970. The biggest news in 1970 was the discontinuance of the Beaumont. Increased competition from U.S. Pontiac models ( possibly that 1970 GTO because this book does not mention a Canadian GTO) since lifting the tariff ban in the mid sixties was beginning to spell the end of what was unique in Canadian cars.

A re-trace of my thread above about early 50's stubbie Canadian Pontiacs from one of my books says that U.S. type Pontiac engines (six cylinder flat heads) were used from the twenties to the end of 1954, no mention of the straight eight being used. 1955 would be the start of the real differences.

Also, those Canadian Pontiac flatheads when they came with automatic's were Powerglides. This is probably the reason late production U.S. Pontiac's got Powerglide when the HydraMatic factory burned down in the fall of 1953. The tooling was already done because is was used in Canadian Pontiac's. Unlike Cadillac and Olds who had to adapt their engines to Dynaflow.

I started working in Oshawa plant 2# in 1971 and I remember when we built the Pontiac for the Olympics special addition with the Olympic insignia decal on the side mid 70s. They did not have enough insignia decals to finish the run as they were on every lunch pail and toolbox in the plant and had to special order more. The second order was not enough again and had to order a third time. Then after having a talk with the worker's they had enough to finish the cars.

There were lots of Firebird's, GTO's , Grand Prix's {the 1968 or so on up ones) etc. sold new in Canada. They were U.S. built but standard items at Canadian Pontiac dealers. It was in the Nova{ Acadian/Canso}, Chevelle [beaumont}, and bread and butter full size cars {Strato Chief / Laurention / Parisienne} that there was a distinct Canadian market version.

Greg in Canada