Kerrville tour 1959

Guest bsheret

Guest bsheret

Kerrville tour 1959

icon_post_target.gifby bsheret » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:51 pm

Hello,

My sister recently sent a newspaper clipping from the Kerrville Morning Sun from May 1959.....I shows our uncle Windy Gray In his 1916 Oldsmobile V8 Victoria. The article goes on to say the community is preparing for the Horseless Carriage Tour. The picture shows what I would call a Brass Car and not what would be a 1916 Oldsmobile. Let me back up a bit. Windy was a longtime member of HCCA. The first time I met Windy was in 1951 in Kerrville, Tx. He was my mother's brother and a Kaiser Frazer dealer in Kerrville. When we arrived in Kerrville we went directly to the dealership. I was 7 years old and already a car nut. In the showroom was a woody with trunk that opened like a station wagon. I was drawn to this thing as I had never seen anything like it. That didn't last long. In the back room was a very tall car that looked like a phone booth with wheels. It was a Baker Electric. I begged Windy to take me for a ride. We had to wait until the next day because the batteries need to be charged. I have pictures from that day. This may have been the beginning of my lifelong interest in antique autos. Although not a member of HCCA I have been a member of AACA for 37 years.

Now back to the 1916 Oldsmobile. Is there anyone out there who remembers Windy and the white Oldsmobile? He told me about a car that he rebuilt from nothing but a chassis and cowl that he found behind a barn. He said he made most of the body from pictures and patterns. Could that be the Oldsmobile?

If so did he make up a car that was on an Olds chassis but resembled a Brass Era Victoria? Not to knock his ingenuity but that is remarkable.

Bernie Sheret

My father (Homer Bartlett) was on that tour -- it was his first. He accompanied Sid Seawright (19 Buick roadster), Willie Kruger ('14 Maxwell) and Casey Slocumb (Model T). It launched a lifelong hobby for him as well as his two sons. I did not know Windy Gray -- but I was just a teenager in those days.

Guest bsheret
My father (Homer Bartlett) was on that tour -- it was his first. He accompanied Sid Seawright (19 Buick roadster), Willie Kruger ('14 Maxwell) and Casey Slocumb (Model T). It launched a lifelong hobby for him as well as his two sons. I did not know Windy Gray -- but I was just a teenager in those days.

Thanks James,

I have emailed you the newspaper clipping from 1959. My sister has more. I will search for anything about you father.

Bernie