throw out bearing sleeve removeable

steamgas

On my '39, which should be the same as yours, after the trans. is out, the sleeve has a tapered spring retainer that can be released by carefully prying out with a screwdriver. This tapered spring retainer is very important for more the holding the sleeve in place. If it breaks (or is left out completely, the trans. will jump out of gear, and do all sorts of strange things. If there is any doubt about the condition of this spring retainer, replace it. Bob's Automobilia in CA has them. On my '39, the retainer was missing when I bought the car. After the retainer is out, the sleeve should be able to be pushed out towards the rear.

Good luck with your project.

Gary

OK, I just looked in a 1940 shop manual, and on page 6-52 you will find the info you need. This snap ring was used at least to 1950, possibly thru 1953 on the 40 series. If you found no ring, then the sleeve should just push out of the housing toward the rear. GM Group number 4.361 GM part number 954145. You must have one in there - I have been all through Buick clutch problems.

Good luck.

Gary

good morning men

i never got much response to this ad.only one person responded and thank you for that sir.i think i may have worded my question wrong.he mentioned a snap-ring to remove but there was no snap-ring to be seen.so i got it out my self in less then 1 minute.i tried to upload a picture of a simple puller for this job but could not upload the picture.anybody out there that could help me with the picture thing?i don't mind posting pictures if i knew how.i tried the directions here on this site but it still never worked.always got a error message.tobs_zps0257cb1c.jpg

SURE WISH I COULD DO THIS FROM MY COMPUTER.it is a very simple slide hammer puller made of 1/2-13 threaded rod 2 nuts and a piece of steel to use as the slid hammer.put the small nut behind the end of the inner sleeve and begin sliding the steel part back until it moves.you will have to go to each side of the hole in order for it to come out straight

Edited by steamgas (see edit history)

That ring isnt a snap ring. It is more like a large diameter thin belville washer. If you use your imagination it is a vague "V" shaped if you were to section it. It should come out easily - if it is there. Neither of my '38's had them when I first got them. Tey are very easy to loose. Fortunately Bob's Automobilia has them.

Sometimes the throwout sleeve is a bit tough to get out if there is a lot of crud between it and the bell housing.