quadrajet 66 riviera gs

Guest billwad

The original carb for cars without A.I.R. is a Rochester, number 7026240. It is not difficult to find--try posting under parts wanted in the Buick section of this forum.

Many original carbs were replaced with "service carbs" that carry a different part number but will perform as original. Will post part number later.

The service replacement for the 7026240 is 7041304.

While the service replacement may be more difficult to find (this may be questionable); it is a MUCH improved carburetor over the original. It should also be MUCH less expensive than the original, as it would lose points on a numbers matching show car (and no, I don't have one for sale).

THERE ARE REASONS WHY ROCHESTER RELEASED SERVICE REPLACEMENT CARBS FOR THE 1965, 1966, AND 1967 Q-JETS!

Jon.

Guest billwad

Thank you guys for the reply this is my first 66 riv and nailhead I have had a couple 67"s just love em the 66 is a touch of a basket case half the motor was in the trunk piston skirts were toast lo grade fuel or runnin the **** outta her cold got the block in the machine shop going 40 over anyway the thing came with a spreadbore holley which I do not. Car for...so I would like a functional reasonably priced quadra jet I can bolt on other than that no rust anywhere and damn straight. Oddly enough I. Found a stock dual quad air filter in the trunk...a ? What is a.i.r?

I think they are great cars as well, styling is ageless. I would think you found a goldmine with that air cleaner...hang on to that one!

A. I. R. is short for Air Injection Reactor. In the early years it was used to inject air at or near exhaust valve to help further burn the exhaust coming from the combustion chamber. In later years it was used a little further downstream in the exhaust stream to give the Catalytic converter a added amount of oxygen to help burn unburned hydrocarbons. On cars with catalytic converters that people have removed the air pump it has a damaging effect on catalyst in a couple of ways. 1. It can cause a converter to overheat and 2. as a result of that the converter is finally overwhelmed to the point that it can cause the converter to clog up rendering the converter useless and horsepower, fuel mileage and emissions badly suffer..... plus it's illegal to remove it!