Nice way to fill up your Wildcat's gas tank..

Guest 75RivGS

I use a local Mobil station and they can't figure out how to connect the hose and nozzle so it won't twist and bind or try to fight its way out of the filler pipe. A rotating pump island, the background music just wouldn't be the same around here.

Bernie

Too bad they didn't show the fill up total. Maybe $5.00 for almost 20 gallons. Oh what memories.

Any of you remember the gas wars at 23.9 cents per gal.? You got full service and a free glass or plate ? Of course I was only 10. :)

Wayne

1941 Super 51

And the attendant was getting about $.75 per hour.

Ben

We lived in the Shoaf Park area, on the north side of Ft. Wayne, Indiana back in 1970-1971.

During the Gas Wars we bought Regular at three different stations for as little as $ .199

LOTS of neat gasoline service stations, back then! Their design was a part of their marketing identification back then. Made for a nice view on "main street", too!

Looks like Keith is taking good care of "Dino", too, which is great.

There's a really neat book out on service stations. The stations of the '50s-middle '70s era were the best, by observation. Back then, you KNEW that what came out of the ground (at the station) came from a tank farm/local distribution point operated by THAT company, rather than what we generally have now. "Brand Advantage" was a huge marketing point, back then, for gasoline and the same company's other lubrication and service products.

Many owners didn't really pay attention to where the filler neck was on their cars. The attendants had to compensate as best they could, especially with a sometimes crowded "lane". The "over the trunk" routine was better than "under the trunk", for many safety reasons. Generally, though, the tougher paints (seemingly) of those times weren't as prone to scratches, so a moderate degree of care in placement of the hose and removal of the hose generally caused no significant issues with the paint, by observation. Accommodating the customer as best they could was the order of the day.

There are some gasoline company commercials on YouTube. Some of the notable ones were from Gulf, "Gas with Gut" "double horse shoes" commercials, where the driver (and passengers) scooted on the pavement. One of the funniest sections was where the driver got irate an "laid rubber" . . . just like the car would have done.

Ahhhh, the memories!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 75RivGS

Have a weak spot for gas stations as well: caught a couple on my camera SD card while on road trips:

DSC02288_zpsc7276006.jpg

DSC07065_zpsb96ba6ac.jpg

Sometimes needed a garage myself (re-charge R134):

DSC06716_zpsa01e3500.jpg

DSC03276_zpsf77e1b65.jpg

DSC07091_zps73a44994.jpg

DSC07399_zps1ea8daad.jpg

DSC07385_zps8de9b4e9.jpg

DSC07761_zps10f8c4ea.jpg

DSC07666_zps86feed01.jpg

DSC07535_zps66dbd89f.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]283017[/ATTACH]Love Sinclair - have always had a soft spot for them since I was a kid - here is one of my favorite auto related possessions

Reminds me of the little Dino soaps they used to have. I'm not old enough to have actaully got a dino soap from Sinclair but my grandparents had one sitting on a shelf over the toilet in the lake cabin. The bathroom always smelled like Dino!

I picked one up off of ebay a few years back still in its original box and paper... I take a sniff now and then and its right back to summertime at the cabin!

I have been to the North Rim Country Store gas station.

We've also been to the "NORTH RIM COUNTRY STORE" - We drove there in our 1934 Buick 34-57

post-54863-143142889403_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142889413_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142889423_thumb.jpg

Guest 75RivGS

Talking about dinos:

last week the Wildcat got it's 2 year inspection (passed with no remarks), so before getting it back into hibernation I made this photo just around the corner of the RDW ('our' DMV) inspection center:

post-32461-143142900038_thumb.jpg

Love your photos Rob! The Mid West in the US is an awesome place to those who have not spent much time there. It would be great if the price of gas stays, or gets lower, than it is now, for next years National Meet.

Wow, thanks for all the great gas station photos. My new garage build is a combination 1930's Buick Sales and Service and Sinclair gas station. Older (30s/40s) Sinclair is hard to find and expen$ive when you do so some of mine will be hand painted by a friend.

Just made this my screen saver, THANKS

DSC07385_zps8de9b4e9.jpg

and this is one awesome picture here V

287707d1419341999-nice-way-fill-up-your-wildcats-dscn4820.jpg

Guest 75RivGS

Thanks John. Gas prices now will surely make a road trip less expensive; purchasing another Buick this year however will be another challenge, now the Euro is going down the drain. Spent quite some time on the internet (CL) lately to find us a nice 67 Electra (2dr/4dr) / Wildcat (2dr) or 71/72 Riviera for a new adventure.

Lamar: that 'Sinclair' gas station is suited somewhere on the RTe66. Spent so much quality time there with the owner (Gary) we only drove a hundred miles orso that day.

• 9 months later...