65 rear track bar cause and effect......

Guest onedesertdog

Guest onedesertdog

Hi All,

Hope everyone has a great start on the holidays.

I've been hearing a clunk in the rear of my 65 for sometime now. I crawled under the car to replace a left brake light, and started to shake the car while listening for some noise. Noticed the outer side of the track bar moving. I removed the bar and found the outer side had no guide pin in the bushing as well as the rubber wasted away. How the pin was gone and it still bolted I don't know.

Anyway, I bought new poly bushings and installed the bar, (which took care of the problem). NOW the car drifts to the right and the steering wheel seems off kilter. As if having to hold it to the left to go straight. Not really that bad, it's just the car tracked and steered great before. I wonder if now I have opened ANOTHER can of worms.LOL

I'll check on it more, but right now it's in the 60's and I can't work on it wearing a Parka and Snow boots, while carrying a blanky.......................................:o

New brake shoes, wheel cylinders, lines, and I believe I have the brakes adj. properly.

Should I be looking at a front end alignment perhaps?

Thanks, and have a great Thanksgiving.

Buddy

I'll check on it more, but right now it's in the 60's and I can't work on it wearing a Parka and Snow boots, while carrying a blanky.......................................:o Thanks, and have a great Thanksgiving. Buddy

Jeeez! Some guys don't know when they have it good. It was 55 here a couple of days ago and I was working in short sleeves; felt like a heat wave compared to a few days earlier.

Ed

Your tire wear is your first true check. Are all four tires wearing in a normal fashion. I would have the front end alignment checked but think you might have worn bushings on the rear control arms. Something isnt straight causing your axle to push to that side. Also how is your shocks, your axle might be hoping around causing it to wear the bushing.

Guest onedesertdog

Less than 2,000 miles on the tires, and new Monroe's all the way around.

H'mmm, I think I should put the old bushings back in........

Ed, I may have to kick my furnace on...lol.

when I bought my 65 gs this past spring I had to drive it from the drop off point about 2 miles from my home in all my 65 years it was the worst handling car I ever owned. The track bushing were gone and so where the front stabilizer bushings. I replaced both, tightened up the adjustment in the steering box and replaced the idler arm and the car was 100% better. Then I purchased 5 new tires and I did not change any shock as they are approx. 8 yrs old. I also got a 4 wheel alignment and the car is now about perfect as far as handling. Yes it is a bit springy but it has the original handling package and the car is even all around so I wont change springs as its ok for me.

Check your front stabilizer bushings and your idler arm and front suspension joints 1st as it only takes a very small amount of play to send the car all over the road.

Your car was probably so far out that everything seemed to compensate for itself and now that you replaced 1 part you probably need to replace others to make it all work together. Good Luck!