a different kind of speaker question

shelbyone

hello to all my TC friends again...this time, I chose to change the speakers ( door and rear upper speakers) in my 89 TC, I just ran new cables to a new stereo and everything was peachy...this time, I changed the radio to a Sony DSX-S310BTX MP3/CD Player In Dash Receiver ( the best thing you can have - bluetooth connectivity and an ipod or iphone than can be hidden inside the actual radio) and kept the existing cables and used the 25 year old speakers...NOW...I still want to use the original cables...and thought of one option when putting in the new speakers...how about keeping the soldered on amps and reuse them with the new speakers...is this advisable? or just a crappy redundant thing?

curious about your input..

hello to all my TC friends again...this time, I chose to change the speakers ( door and rear upper speakers) in my 89 TC, I just ran new cables to a new stereo and everything was peachy...this time, I changed the radio to a Sony DSX-S310BTX MP3/CD Player In Dash Receiver ( the best thing you can have - bluetooth connectivity and an ipod or iphone than can be hidden inside the actual radio) and kept the existing cables and used the 25 year old speakers...NOW...I still want to use the original cables...and thought of one option when putting in the new speakers...how about keeping the soldered on amps and reuse them with the new speakers...is this advisable? or just a crappy redundant thing?

curious about your input..

The on-board amps, especially the door amps are usually the biggest problem with our infinity system. You got a new sound box, go with the new horns. Magnet technology has improved so much over the last 20 years that the speaks in the car might still be good but the kickers that feed them are obsolete. Speaks have improved so much that if our radio was still in play, it wouldn't need those on board amps to turn out concert hall sound and a good sound box has more than enough power to push our old speaks without the on-board amps. Use the wires that are already run and change the ends to bypass the amps; don't toss the old parts as you never know when you might want to go back to factory original.

Do I understand you correctly, Digger, that I can replace the original amplified speakers with non-amplified 4-ohm or 8-ohm speakers, and the Infinity radio will drive them with adequate volume?

25 years ago great sounding small low power speakers didn't exist and I used 6-ohm for my doors. Volume is easy, picking the right set of speaks for sound quality is the important part. When you blow off the on-board amp you find that door speaker needs are different than rears, same size but the rears with the tweets have a built in bypass filter and I kept that in place because it was easier than figuring out what I would need to replace. The door amps are potted and a real fight to repair, rears aren't. Long story as short as possible; when I got my TC the doors had no sound for the first 10 min. then squealed. After finding the potting compound I scoured the yards and found a good pair of speaks in an old mini van. Non potted amps don't like to be slammed and driver door stopped working second month. Before that stopped working I found the lower right rear rattled with the volume up, used good door speaker to repair lower right rear by swapping speaks, should have done same thing to both sides when I had it apart, but I didn't want to burn off a good speak and what I used to redo the doors sounded like crap in the rear so I didn't. Door speaks came from old Bose cube speaks, not much help here as Bose provides no tech specs to the outside world and the cubes are different inside to match the system they come with. Bose is not a high power bookshelf system and their great sound comes from their low power requirement full frequency response speakers. Bose was first and for some time only, plenty of these on the market today. This wasn't a perfect fit as when I bring up the front speaks I do need to increase volume one notch to balance sound front and rear.