Convertible Top Colors in 1949

Dan O

Did Buick use tan tops in 1949? I have a maroon '49 convertible with a very faded top I plan to replace and think it would look great with a tan canvas Haartz top. I suppose I'd lose points in judging if I went there but am not certain. I've uploaded the data plate if that helps determine roof color. post-47482-143142848264_thumb.jpg

I wish I had some decent photos of the car but only some taken on cloudy days. You can see the top got destroyed in shipping. It has a glass rear window as well that was cracked. Where these glass windows factory? I've read they only used plastic and the tops were black or GM white. As always, your input is appreciated!

post-47482-143142848278_thumb.jpg

Yes and yes.

The fourth line of your Body by Fisher Number Plate (Trim Number) are the OEM fabric/color codes.....74 = a Tan leather interior.....T = a Tan convertible top.

According to the latest BCA Judging Handbook (2005), plastic rear windows on Buick convertibles didn't appear until 1951.

My vote would be to stay with a Tan-colored top. :o

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Thanks. Al! Tan is what I hoped it was as that is what I prefer. The white top and wide whites remind me too much of The Full Cleveland look some men wore in the 70's - white shoes, white sock topped off with a white belt. Also, being an humble graduate of the University of Texas, it's hard to don the maroon and white of A&M.

In the Haartz catalog I have seen a couple of tan choices in the Haartz square weave canvas which I suppose is great stuff - tan/tan, tan/black, dark beige - what's the right color and is this the best material for BCA judging? I guess I should get the BCA Judging Handbook to answer some of these questions. Downloadable here - http://www.buickclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/bca_judging_manual.pdf

Link won't work in IE Explorer for some reason.

Edited by 49Massah (see edit history)

.....In the Haartz catalog I have seen a couple of tan choices in the Haartz square weave canvas which I suppose is great stuff - tan/tan, tan/black, dark beige - what's the right color and is this the best material for BCA judging?.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]283143[/ATTACH]

I wouldn't be too concerned about what the judges think in regards to what is or what isn't the right color combination for the exterior facing/interior liner. Just a couple of ideas to pass by you assuming your top bows are Tan:

.....Choose a liner color that doesn't show the dirt;

.....Choose a liner color that doesn't match or clash with your tan convertible top bows;

.....Choose a liner color that is complimentary to your tan leather interior and tan convertible top bows for that WOW factor.

It's your car but my vote remains for a Tan exterior with a Black interior liner. A cool ride with the later-'49 swoosh spear side trim.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

[ATTACH=CONFIG]283143[/ATTACH]

I wouldn't be too concerned about what the judges think in regards to what is or what isn't the right color combination for the exterior facing/interior liner. Just a couple of ideas to pass by you assuming your top bows are Tan:

.....Choose a liner color that doesn't show the dirt;

.....Choose a liner color that doesn't match or clash with your tan convertible top bows;

.....Choose a liner color that is complimentary to your tan leather interior and tan convertible top bows for that WOW factor.

It's your car but my vote remains for a Tan exterior with a Black interior liner. A cool ride with the later-'49 swoosh spear side trim.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Al - yes, that's good insight on the liner. I had not thought about dirt showing with the tan top bows moving about. Not sure about a black interior roof though. I'll have to give that some thought. I just can't visualize it but it might be cool. Definitely going with a tan top. Spent 2-3 hours driving today thinking of the steps I'll take to refurbish and/or restore this car. I've had quite a few old cars in my day but none so nice as this one in design imho.

Al - yes, that's good insight on the liner. I had not thought about dirt showing with the tan top bows moving about. Not sure about a black interior roof though. I'll have to give that some thought. I just can't visualize it but it might be cool. Definitely going with a tan top. Spent 2-3 hours driving today thinking of the steps I'll take to refurbish and/or restore this car. I've had quite a few old cars in my day but none so nice as this one in design imho.

'49 are great looking cars !!

Thanks for all the comment and such. Tan it shall be! Haartz canvas pinpoint material. Black liner? Eh, I gotta see a picture first. Looked on the interweb to no avail.

Anyone have comments on where to buy a good kit? I have seen many out there - LeBaron Bonney, Convertible Top Guys, Hydo E lectric, etc. What makes the difference assuming they use all the proper hardware and design? Never bought one before. I do have a highly recommended man to install it.

Thanks for all the comment and such. Tan it shall be! Haartz canvas pinpoint material. Black liner? Eh, I gotta see a picture first. Looked on the interweb to no avail.

Anyone have comments on where to buy a good kit? I have seen many out there - LeBaron Bonney, Convertible Top Guys, Hydo E lectric, etc. What makes the difference assuming they use all the proper hardware and design? Never bought one before. I do have a highly recommended man to install it.

Ask that highly recommended man