Brass era top bows/irons

Guest Pickard

Guest Pickard

I'm looking for an original set of top irons like the picture below. I'm hoping to not use any reproduction parts on my automobile.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Dave

post-104552-143142847236_thumb.jpg

There are always top bows at Hershey for sale, a number of them still with original fabric attached, so hopefully someone will be able to help you. New top irons are available at John's in Auburn, California, but understand your wish to use "real: parts.

I've always been envious of your Pickard, from the time I first heard of it many years ago. I just KNOW that you go to shows and they've changed the registration to "Packard", thinking you couldn't spell your car's name!!!

And just the telling of owning a Pickard, not a Packard....priceless!

Good luck with your search....

Guest Pickard

Thank you, I'm sure an original can be had! I'm only about 2 hrs from Hershey, but had to be out if town on a job the entire week...I've been in contact with John in CA this week just to get an idea of what was involved, it's an option at least.

I get "corrected" all the time on the spelling or pronunciation... It never bothers me, I find it entertaining for sure :)

I personally can't disagree more with the not wanting to use "reproduction parts". You don't find original tires, and you don't find original cans of paint, some parts just are better to use new. I have had large brass cars with nice original tops, everything is good, right? Well as soon as you go to put new material on, you decide you should clean up the sockets and repaint them. As soon as you clean them you will find rust holes and slightly bent sockets. Why spend the money to put a new top on old sockets? They have a big job holding up a heavy top as the car rolls down the highway, go ahead and get John to make you a new set, and be done with it. They will be absolutely identical to the original, yet made to the exact specifications you need, and not full of hidden rust to weaken them.

Just my 2 cents.

Adam, it's an interesting discussion. Where do you stop replacing parts when you're trying to keep something "original"? I can appreciate trying to use original irons for a top, if they're in good condition, but as a trimmer, it's difficult to get new stuff to line up correctly, much less stuff that's been around for 100 years. So I understand.

If every other piece is original on the Pickard, then it'd be tempting to try to find something period correct to use for a top.

I had a choice on my little 1910 Hupmobile to use perfect new reproduction fenders, or the original fenders to the car that are a little strange here and there, but they came out of the Hupp factory, on this car, in 1910. I used the originals, warts and all, and the car remains intact.....

Guest Pickard
I personally can't disagree more with the not wanting to use "reproduction parts". You don't find original tires, and you don't find original cans of paint, some parts just are better to use new. I have had large brass cars with nice original tops, everything is good, right? Well as soon as you go to put new material on, you decide you should clean up the sockets and repaint them. As soon as you clean them you will find rust holes and slightly bent sockets. Why spend the money to put a new top on old sockets? They have a big job holding up a heavy top as the car rolls down the highway, go ahead and get John to make you a new set, and be done with it. They will be absolutely identical to the original, yet made to the exact specifications you need, and not full of hidden rust to weaken them.

Just my 2 cents.

I can most surely agree with your sentiment and it may be the way I go, but seeing as this is the sole surviving example it probably won't see more then a parade lap, show or a quick run around the neighborhood. Just figured I would through some feelers out there and see what my options might be.