1959 LeSabre 2-dr. ht., project, in Texas

Pete Phillips

Sad story. Owner has been taken advantage of by an unscrupulous paint & body shop that overcharged, did lousy work, and lost or stole many of this car's parts. It is now at another body shop, but after spending $27,000, owner's wife insists he sell the car and stop this project. He wants $5000 for everything, and this includes $3000 worth of replated chrome and restored/polished stainless trim. Car is a 1959 LeSabre 2-door hardtop with good running 364 V-8, automatic transmission, power brakes, AM radio, and that's about it for options. Car's gas tank, glass, interior door panels, window regulators, and lower portion of driver's dashboard are missing. Does have a clear title. Located in Alvarado, Texas which is about 45 minutes south of Fort Worth, at a current BCA member's paint & body shop. I've been asked to help find a new home for the car, and have several photos and details. If they won't attach to this, I can email them to you. Car still needs to be painted, reupholstered, reassembled, and probably needs a parts car to complete what is missing. There's a '59 Electra 2-dr. on the forum right now, in Arkansas, for sale.

I am located 3 hours away from this LeSabre, so I cannot just run over there and take more photos, but will do so if someone wants to pay for my gasoline. Owner has provided a list of work done and list of new parts included, plus a list of missing parts, which I will try to attach. E-mail me for photos. I can't seem to attach them. pphillips922@earthlink.net

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Here is owner's list:

1959 Buick LeSabre 2-door hardtop<o:p></o

Partially disassembled – clear title<o:p></o

$5,000 firm<o:p></o

<o:p></o

Have receipts for all work done since purchase in April 2011

Recent work completed:

New shocks<o:p></o

New exhaust system<o:p></o

New Pertronix electronic ignition<o:p></o

New spark plugs<o:p></o

Complete brake job with new wheel cylinders<o:p></o

New carburetor kit<o:p></o

New (rebuilt) water pump

Four new WWW tires on original rims repainted in correct red

Rust repair in rocker panels and quarter panels

All body panels ground to bare metal and primed

New trunk pan installed

Original 364 c.i.d. nailhead V-8 is strong and smooth; no oil consumption

Drove very nicely following mechanical work, and prior to H&H body shop disassembly (car was never reassembled)

Driven less than 200 miles since purchase in April 2011

Significant parts lost by previous (H&H) body-shop owner are listed below. I am still trying to track these down, and will provide to the buyer without additional charge if located.

• Gas tank
  • Ignition cylinder and lower dashboard panel
  • Various fasteners for doors and body panels
  • Three headlights and both headlight buckets
  • Windshield wiper/washer transmission parts
  • Reproduction exterior door handles
  • Door-lock cylinder
  • Complete set of sound-deadening mats
  • 1959 Buick body manual

Here is Rob’s assessment of the car:<o:p></o

Subject: 59 lesbre

Car is 2dr hdtop. Engine runs well, tranny works, bad leaks. All sheet metal with car, all chrome redone, except grill. All stainless reworked. New repro mirrors. No glass, no door hardware at all, no interior except old seats. No ignition or lower dash panels. No gas tank. Unknown condition of body work due to car in primer. Has rust shadowing thru primer. Hood, trunk, doors are painted, extremely crappy work. Trunk floor replaced, if you want to say that, also very crappy. Whole engine bay painted brown, I don't know why. No bolts, fasteners, lots of missing parts, especially brkts for parts. I will send pictures via my cell phone. Call me if you have any more questions. Owner just called, take $5000, will give us list of all parts that he has.

Robert Buntaine

Alvarado Paint & Body

3713 South I-35W

Alvarado, TX., 76009

817-783-6580<o:p></o

post-32059-143142847164_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142847172_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142847179_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142847187_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142847199_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete Phillips
add photos (see edit history)

what a sad story. Zebra paint job

That would the primer guide coat I would say. When you block the primer back the black paint stays in the low spots and you can see where it needs to be filled again and gives you an idea on how flat your job surface is. It most likely has to be done several times for show paint surface.

If it was local to me I'd probably take it on for that price. But shipping / red tape / currency exchange would put it 3 X the asking price for me.

Edited by Rooster (see edit history)

Ken is right--the primer guide coat is on it.

I have thought about taking this one on, but the missing parts make it virtually necessary to buy a parts car also, and that means space for TWO cars plus the existing parts that aren't on the car, which means I would need the same space as three cars would take up.

• 2 weeks later...