Rear glass replacement on convertible top

Guest nucmed1

Guest nucmed1

Hi everyone !

I found a used rear glass window with brackets. Is this an easy install DIY ?

Should I bite the bullet and have a shop do the install so it both looks nice and will not leak ?

Did a search for "how do I" with no results. If any of my fellow TC 'ers have done this project. ...if you could share the "how to" is would be appreciated.

Thanks

nucmed

Where did you find the window.

From what I understand from reading other post you will need to have it installed as it requires some sewing.

Unless your top is in great shape in the long run you may be better off buying new top with the glass.

Hi everyone !

I found a used rear glass window with brackets. Is this an easy install DIY ?

Should I bite the bullet and have a shop do the install so it both looks nice and will not leak ?

Did a search for "how do I" with no results. If any of my fellow TC 'ers have done this project. ...if you could share the "how to" is would be appreciated.

Thanks

nucmed

With the good used top section your glass is already sewn and sealed, the old fabric will already have a bit of a fold with piercings that will make lining this up a no brain-er and thanks to the design of our cars soft top, we don't have to take the car apart to get to access to the bottom back edge of the top. No instructions or pictures on this, start at the bottom edge, take it apart as it comes apart and then put it back together. You don't absolutely need a second pair of hands to put it back together, but this being your first time best to have help to hold your glass so it doesn't get away from you.

If all you have is glass with brackets attached take it to a top shop. I can almost guarantee that you don't have a work table big enough, a sewing machine tough enough and because you can't get this stuff by the teaspoon, by the time get everything you need to do the job once, you've spent more than you would have paid to have it done.

Guest nucmed1

Thanks ....made my decision. To the shop it will go !

Got the glass from a nice fellow in central florida. Parted out a TC.

Thanks for the info.

From what I understand from reading other post you will need to have it installed as it requires some sewing.

Unless your top is in great shape in the long run you may be better off buying new top with the glass.