Trying to work out what engine I have in a 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix

Freoway

Hi folks. I have a '63 Grand Prix I purchased recently. I'm trying to determine exactly which motor I have. The engine has been out of the car and rebuilt, so I'm not sure if it's original or not. My engine code is: 608356 YT. I understand the six numbers are the engine numbers. The YT means different things for different cars, but that most Y's are auto's. I have tried to read my casting number, but it's pretty difficult. I'll attach a pic.

There's a GM1 as one would expect and six numbers underneath it. I'm not sure about the first and third digits. It looks like 648680. But I'm not sure.

Can anyone help and possibly tell me what I've got?

Cheers, Lloyd

post-104446-143142846747_thumb.jpg

post-104446-143142846755_thumb.jpg

casting number 543680 is a 1963 only, 389 block casting. It was used in many applications, from the base 2 barrel (code 02E) to the tri-power (Code 48N).

You'll need to find the engine and cylinder head codes to know what you have.

Also, you can send your VIN to Pontiac Historic Services (http://www.phs-online.com/)

For a fee ( US$75 for an international order), they will provide an information package that shows when and how your Grand Prix was originally built.

The package will include the details regarding date and location of assembly, original power train and accessory equipment, colors, trim level, etc.

The Wallace Racing website is an EXCELLENT resource. You should be able to find answers to your engine/head/manifold questions:

Here is a link to their engine search page: http://www.wallaceracing.com/enginesearch4.htm

The 63 GP is a sweet car; congratulations.

Good luck!

Thanks. That makes sense. It has a 02D code, which makes it a 1963 389 with 4 speed, 1x4V. The tri-power option was obviously added on by someone else. I see you've got a '32 Ford truck. I recently bought a '40 Ford pickup (a rare right-hand drive). Those old flatheads are fun. Cheers, Lloyd