Where does it go?

db17

I have a part in my box that is suppose to go in my engine, 1917 Dodge Touring car 4cyl. The part is Camshaft thrust plug retainer. I have a picture of the part below. I and my friend have looked everywhere, above, below, each end of the cam for any evidence of where it goes but no luck. The master parts book, pg D-9-4 states it was used 4-cyl, from 73457 to A 518420, my is 134646.

Any help Please!!

MVC-122F.JPG

Thanks Bob, Inside the block behind the distributor? Does it use the same bolts as the distributor? I don't have the block here to look at so I'm trying to visualize it. Thanks, I'll check it out next time I work on the engine, next week.

What is it's purpose? Does it limit movement forward and backward of the cam? Please understand I'll trying to put this engine together without ever seeing it together. I got the engine completely torn apart in several boxes. In the book it references 1. camshaft thrust plug, 2. camshaft plug screw, 3.camshaft rear bearing plug and 4. the camshaft thrust plug retainer. I see nothing in the book on how they are arranged. Again Thanks for the response,

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks Again!!