Rear Seat Package Tray Question

dhaven64

I think maybe it's held in by 'gravity' ???

Usually the rear window lower moulding, rear seat and sail panel secure them in place, at least that's how it is on my '68, in addition to some special friction, screw type fastners in the plastic package tray. A '64 Fisher Body Manual should provide the correct information about securing the '64 package tray.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/package-tray-work-my-63-a-372855.html

Hi dhaven,

Here's a thread from a little bit ago when I redid my parcel shelf on my '63. Should be very similar if not exact to the '64 regarding removal and installation, unless your new one is one of those fiberglas shelves. Others can chime in, but IIRC those need some fettling and fitting. My board was in great shape so all I did was remove it, recover it, and reinstall. The rear seats and some window moldings must come out to do the job.

I like Ed's velcro approach - makes for relatively easy future removal (...if need be), for fitting, farting 'n fiddling. LOL

Certain types of glue, or spray adhesives might be OK, but they are usually permanent.

Construction adhesive like Lepages PL Premium, a 100% polyurethane would also fall into that catagory

If you are selling the car, and don't plan on removing it again, glue or a spray adhesive would do the job without any screws !

I am just getting around to installing the one I purchased awhile back from Clarks. I DON'T want to drill any holes in the wrong place so what I've done is drilled the 2 holes furthest to the rear and outside that the trim plates/moldings fit on top of. Mine (a '65) were 50 & 1/2 inches apart and I used those moldings to help determine their height after first fitting them on my old, distorted cardboard tray. I came out good with those holes so I installed masking tape above the center hole of the three remaining to make markings on, marked a straight line vertically up onto the glass area from the hole and then put the new piece in place securing it with the 2 end screws. I determined the center hole should be 1 1/2 inch below the rear lip of the tray. If that makes absolutely no sense to you, I could take some photos and post them when I get back to it.

Steve

Steve

Install the screws in the holes in the body, with the package tray removed. Put the package tray where you want it and the screw heads can scratch the underside and you can see where the holes need to be. You may need to back the screws up a little at a time until they touch. You could even put some vaseline or a dab of silicone on the screw head which will mark the back side of the package tray. Once you drill the hole use a small size like 1/16. place the tray back in place and stick a piece of wire/clothes hangar through the hole to see how lose you are. adjust as needed and drill your proper size hole