Late 40's early 50's Cadillac Hood Ornament Identification Sought

hddennis

Thanks John, I appreciate the help, was shocked I couldn't turn up anything by the part #, that almost always works on a popular car.

Howard Dennis

The casting numbers on these 4o's and 50's Cadillac hood ornaments, V's, Crests, etc usually are not the part numbers. Why, I don't know. But they don't align with the numbers in the Master Parts book in this time span. Nobody seems to have the translation available for view either except the few vendors that charge outrageous prices because they know what they've got...but you don't. Knowledge is money!.....Joe

I don't think it is a '47. The '47 hood opens by lifting the hinged "lady" to unlatch the hood. This one bolts directly to the hood. I think '54-'55 or so. Definitely a car with a chrome trim strip down the center of the hood.

I'm leaning towards 1949, which is very similar to and often mistaken for the 1950 thru 1952 style. The reason is the '49 is slightly narrower across the top of the wing to wing (as measured on the top) and the tailfeather that meets the hood center trim strip has a slight taper. The '53 looks very close to the 50-52 style. It's got a different part number but I don't know what's different; possibly hood curve radius. Got a measurement across wings and base length? I may have a '50-52 sample around here someplace....not sure.

I'm leaning towards 1949, which is very similar to and often mistaken for the 1950 thru 1952 style. The reason is the '49 is slightly narrower across the top of the wing to wing (as measured on the top) and the tailfeather that meets the hood center trim strip has a slight taper. The '53 looks very close to the 50-52 style. It's got a different part number but I don't know what's different; possibly hood curve radius. Got a measurement across wings and base length? I may have a '50-52 sample around here someplace....not sure.

Thank you Guys for your help. The base is a separate casting and is 13 1/2 inches long. Wings at shoulder 4 1/2 inches wide and 4 inches wide at tips.

Howard Dennis