So is this a downgrade?

DAVES89

I have developed a small rip in my Dark Gray 16 way seats on the Black. As this is my winter only Reatta and it will soon get a replacement transmission, I decided to go to Gibson's [my local You Pick] to look for seats that will help control my costs. I found three 1988-1990 Rivieras that have the dark blue cloth seats in really nice condition. I can buy them for $30.00 each in near excellent condition. That would be way cheaper then getting my original seats repaired. This car [the Black] is a pretty nice car yet, but it is my winter driver.

I did do some walking around and really liked the seats found in the 1998-2001 Buick Regals. They are leather and match better, but my concern is if they would fit on our seat rails.

Any thoughts?

BTW I found a 1987 Olds Toronado that has a "Continental Kit" on it. Also for all you 1990/91 owners there are some back lite [kdirk's idea]window/door controls that look pretty nice. Kdirk has done this as have I and a couple other guys.

I have an extra set of rails. I will take them out to Gibson's when I pull the Regal seats. There is still a Reatta out there that I can take the Regal seats to and try them right in the car. Then if they work, I will buy them. If they don't I'll buy the Riv seats. There is also a nice set of Light Gray cloth seats in an Olds Toronado. I know they will work, but they are really too light in color.

As I said before I like the Regal ones the best and I hope they will work.

Guest my3buicks

I can't think the Regal ones would be anywhere close to as comfortable or as nice of a seat as the Reatta, Riviera, or Toro's. You are talking top-of-the-line seats and comparing them to middle of the line seats.

I tend to believe the 86-92 body floor is the same in the seat are on Toronado, Riviera, Reatta, Eldorado, and Seville. If that is true, then front seats from any of those SHOULD be plug and play.

However I could be wrong. I feel even stronger about the bottom mounts on the seats being the same and the mechanism between the seat and the floor (that does the adjusting) could be slightly different to allow for any differences in the floor pans....so if you take out your Reatta seat and remove the adjustment mechanism..... rather than take that heavy assembly to the salvage yard, make a cardboard template. Transfer the 4 holes that mount to the floor to the cardboard and identify them. On the same piece of cardboard, transfer the 4 holes from the seat that mount to the mechanism. With both bolt patterns you should be able to find usable seats.

Guest PontiacDude210

I've seen Reattas with Regal seats before. I think the Regal seats hold up to abuse much better, after having seen both age. I could be biased because my family had a Regal that I absolutely loved to drive, and I've always been partial to them. I've seen other Cadillac seats swapped in to Reattas too, I forget the model but it seems like a lot of them will fit.

I agree with JalopyBob the Riv seats are more comfortable, more padding, thicker.

I have spent many hours, days, weeks in a 90 coupe then 91 vert and the Riv are more comfortable. Still have the 91 vert and a 93 Riv.

Since 04 have recieved 4 long distance awards to the nationals. 3 in a row 04, 05, 06. Where I come from I call that a hat trick.

That doesn't include 2 trips to Flint, 03, 08. Don't get me wrong the Reatta seats are comfy but the Riv seats have more padding, foam.

Guest my3buicks

Speaking of seat comfort, it is remarkable the difference in comfort between the standard Reatta seats and the 16 way seats - the standard seats are comfortable but feel like you are sitting on them, the 16 ways (not even taking into account the extra positioning) you sit in them rather than on them.

While I find the 16 ways more supportive, ya'll need to try sitting in a 6 way seat with its original padding for a few miles. I'm assuming everyone's butt has sagged/drooped over time (especially these forum gear heads) and I'm guessing so has the padding in most seats people complain about. Last year I changed the padding in a standard driver's seat then did a L.A. to Vegas round trip. I got out of the car without any (new) aches or pains.

One of the least expensive and most rewarding upgrades that can be done to a Reatta is replacing the seat padding.

It's funny, I've found I actually prefer the feel of the 6 way seats for longer drives. Seem to get less fatigue in the hind side and legs from the 6 ways versus the 16 ways. I think the upgraded thigh bolster on the 16 way seats may actually be a detriment, at least to my preferences. May also be the padding is firmer in the 16 way seats.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

Count me among those who prefer the six way seat. May be because I'm fairly tall and the thigh bolster just didn't do me right.

Maybe we should invite Kim Kardashian to join the forum and write a tutorial on how to solve our saggy butt problems. :rolleyes:

No can do. That rear bumper is from a 59 Invicta convertible (note the frequent top-down cruising). It has, however, been retrofitted to meet current federal impact resistance standards. Seems the headlamp rebuilds have already been done as well. Likely used silicone grease in the gear casing.

As to the original question "is this a downgrade?" Yes, I believe it is. I'll leave you to discern whether or not I'm speaking of the seats in that regard.

KDirk

Winter has closed in early here and makes looking for parts a bit more difficult. I need to pull some parts for Ship [from a Riv] and can do that today, but as far as the seats I may table them for spring. I do want to get some color samples to see what matches the best, so may do that today as well.