1939 6V VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Barney Eaton

I need a new 6V voltage regulator for my '39 Buick. Just check Bob's and he shows a 1940- 53 What is the difference for my 39 (and earlier) regulators.

I have also read that in some cases solid state regulators are available for replacing the old type.

Advice, sources and part numbers would be appreciated

I am not certain the one I have is original.... it has a single screw in the cover holding it on the base. I have checked Ebay and Amazon and get more frustrated with each search.

I search for 6V and some do not say if they are for 6 or 12 V and several on Amazon list 6V in one place and 12V further in the description.

The local tractor supply has 6V regulators intended for tractors ....... I am tempted to buy one just to get it charging while I look for a permanent replacement.

The one Bob's list for 40-53 is a VR401R which can be found (without the R) so I am not sure what the R prefix means.

Check Standard Motor Products (Blue Streak) online and they do not list a regulator.

Please keep making suggestions.

Guest BigDogDaddy

I bought a replacement regulator for 1940 Buick in Hershey last month and I got a lesson in voltage regulators from the gentleman who was selling them. The difference in the units is the Amperage. The one for my Buick and yours is a 30 amp unit. Other units may work and may last a while. But if it is the wrong amperage, it will eventually burnout, and you'll be looking for a new one again. The part number on the box to look for is 118301 or 118302. I believe it is the same for Buick, Cadillac, Ford & Nash.

Phil

'39 has a three brush generator, while 1940 and up have a two brush generator, so no interchange of regulators between 1939 and 1940. I think Pontiac and Chevrolet, and probably Olds share the 203 regulator. The 203 was later replaced by a number 301 and still later that number was replaced again. The three digit number is stamped on the end of the regulator where the screw goes through to the firewall. They show up regularly on eBay from $40 to $100 or so. I buy every new Delco (any of the three numbers) that show up for $40-45. I probably have 7-8 on the shelf for my 3 '39 Specials because they tend not to last a real long time. The box is square while 1940 and later the box is rectangular. Since 1963 I've probably put 10 or more new ones on my blue sedan, so I always carry one and keep a lot on the shelf. It is also important to have them tested after their laying on the shelf a long time.

Barney: 1939 regulator contains only a voltage regulator and a cut out relay. 1940 added a current regulator to go with the generator change as Earl stated. What is the number on the base of the regulator now on your car? What # on your generator? This to be sure you have the correct match between the generator and regulator. Definitely don't want the later higher capacity generator sending more current to a correct 39 regulator(which does use a single screw to hold on the cover) for the reason stated to Phil by his friend. I haven't seen anything regarding solid state replacements for a long time.

Glad I ask the experts....... this is complicated. I studied the '38 and '39 service manuals last night and the '38 regulator is completely different with 5 terminals.

Interesting evolution on these regulators. 1937 and 38 started with a 5 terminal #5807; but got replaced with a 4 terminal #213 for service replacement in 1938 The ignition lead in the harness was cut and taped off. These regulators were composed of only a voltage regulator and cut out relay as was the 3 terminal #203 used in 1939. I found it interesting, too, that, per instructions included with the 1939 #203, it was NOTrecommended that it be used as a substitute for 1937 and 1938. The 4 terminal #213 was the recommended replacement. I believe this was due to the unique electrical requirements needed for type of starter switch changes made in the Buick foot starting system over these years.