1937 Dodge truck parts needed

vicpanza

Hi:

Was hoping to someone might have a few parts I am looking for regarding my 1937 Dodge MC. I have attached pictures that I think are of the original parts, and realize this is a long shop, but figured it was worth a try.

First, I need the rod that connects the parking brake handle to the brake band. It is part number 579388 and it screws into a yolk on the front, and the back has a hole that a pin fits through. Could probably make one from a I bolt, but wanted to see if anyone has this part lying around.

Second, I am fabricating a new floor board, and if possible, would like to find an original battery hole cover, part number 546931. Once again, a real long shot, and may fabricate from some heavy gauge sheet metal (would appreciate dimensions if anyone has an original they can measure for me).

Attached pictures and appreciate any help from the group.

Thanks

Vicpost-84354-143142844266_thumb.jpg

post-84354-143142844259_thumb.jpg

Just a suggestion on the floor board. I restored a 42 WC some time ago and while making the new floor board I made the battery access hole large enough to allow the battery to be pulled straight up or down through the board without removing the board. I fabricated a metal plate large enough to cover the access hole. It's silly to have to remove the floor mat and complete board to service the battery. I will do the same for the 37 MC in my shop now.

It looks like your brake lever was sprayed with black paint. Can you tell if the lever was chrome plated originally?

Thanks. John

Edited by johnworden1 (see edit history)

Hi John:

Thanks for the note on the floor board. As for the brake lever, this one is a spare transmission that I sold about a month ago. The one from my truck was originally painted gray (the 1937-38 trucks had a great interior) and the top of the handle was nickle plated. If you want some pictures, send me your email as I don't think I can attach them to this message.

post-84354-143142845234_thumb.jpg

Now I'm curious. You say the upper part of the handle was nickel plated. Was nickel plate used on the w/shield crank handle/bezel, the instrument rims, the bumpers, the headlight rims, the ram hood ornament, the window and door handles etc or just the brake lever?

Thanks. John

Also do you have the formula or color info for the gray?

Edited by johnworden1
more info (see edit history)

I believe the other parts were chrome plated. When I took the handle to my plater, he though that the handle had nickle on it, as it would have been more durable then chrome??? When I stripped this handle, the nickle plating extended about 8 to 10 inches down the handle from the top. Have some other pictures of that somewhere around here. Hope this helps.

I believe the other parts were chrome plated. When I took the handle to my plater, he though that the handle had nickle on it, as it would have been more durable then chrome??? When I stripped this handle, the nickle plating extended about 8 to 10 inches down the handle from the top. Have some other pictures of that somewhere around here. Hope this helps.

Yes, it would have been nickel plated.

Now I'm curious. You say the upper part of the handle was nickel plated. Was nickel plate used on the w/shield crank handle/bezel, the instrument rims, the bumpers, the headlight rims, the ram hood ornament, the window and door handles etc or just the brake lever?

Thanks. John

Also do you have the formula or color info for the gray?

Only the interior hardware was nickel plated.

So to be clear I'm reading that the interior door and window cranks, instrument bezels, w/shield crank/bezel, upper brake lever/button should be nickel.

Thanks for the help. I want this work to be accurate. John

I am pretty certain that is the way they did it. Others with ORIGINAL 1937s will verify if I am correct. I am going by what my 1936 Dodge had.

• 6 months later...