Transmission Fluid Leak

Guest AndiM

I have been driving my 1960 SeLabre at least twice a week and enjoying it so much up until last month, when after parking it in the garage I saw a trail of fluid up the driveway and a puddle under the car. Because I was on my way out of town I didn't investigate right away. Since I'm trying to be more like one my new hands on car friends, today I decided to investigate before running to a mechanic. I identified the fluid as transmission by the color and remembered from watching my dad work on cars that it had to be checked with the engine running. Good thing I did because it was about empty. I added a quart and it looks good. The leak is just below the carborator on the right side above the engine right where the hose meets a metal fitting or clamp. Any idea if this is an easy fix? Identifying and filling the fluid may be elementary to all of you, but this gal is stupid proud. lol!

Your leak could be from one of the trans. oil cooler lines or fittings where they screw onto the trans. or from the front seal or trans oil pan. Crawl under when it's running (IN PARK with the parking brake on!) and see if you see where the fluid is leaking from.

kaycee

Andi,

Another thing to check is your power steering pump level to see if it's low and look at the hoses and fittings on the hoses. Hopefully the power steering hoses or trans oil cooler lines or fittings are your problem!

kaycee