Push on edge upholstery tack strips - wheree to find?

Guest 51c8Joe

Guest 51c8Joe

I'm doing the upholstery on my 35 Pontiac, and I have been unable to find the right tack strips. Mine are kind of a "U" shaped metal strip with tacks attached that pushes onto the edge of the upholstery backing board. I've tried Restoration Specialties, Genco, and several others but can't find what I need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. From my time on the Forum, I expect Trimacar and several others will know what I'm looking for and can offer a solution. Thank you for your time.

Joe

Who'd you talk to at Restoration Specialties? If you don't talk to Dave or Jeff the other guys don't know anything about older cars. While they don't have the continuous nail strip , they do, however, have replacement nails welded to a small channel shaped piece of metal to crimp over the door panel. They are part numbers 12670 and 12671 with 7/16 and 3/4 in.nails respectively. Hope this helps. Jim

Jim is correct. Usually you will notch the panel board slightly so when the metal piece is folded over the panel board you still have a smooth edge on the panel. The best way to attach them to panel is by crimping on back side, lay flat side of metal on a hard surface, use a Phillips screwdriver with a good point, strike screwdriver with hammer putting one star shaped crimp on each side of nail sticking up. Mark nail locations on door or other panel and pre drill holes with smaller diameter drill.

Give me a little time to check old stock, but I may have a full box of what you need/will work. They're long strips with nails through them. In the past I've used them on all of my Packard restorations. You simply push the whole works through the panel, then from the nail side I'd use a deep socket that fits close and strike the board to expose as much nail as possible. the padding used on the upholstered side covers the metal strip so it doesn't show through. As the cloth or leather is wrapped around the nails can poke through as well. I can let you know later today or tomorrow.

Edited by Highlander160 (see edit history)

Guest 51c8Joe

I knew I'd get an answer. Turns out one of my problems was looking for "tack strips" rather than"nail on door clips". Once I did that I got choices. Thanks Jim and trimacar. Highlander160. I await your response with bated breath. (I always wanted to use that phrase)

Joe

If you have some NOS nail strips you're a lucky man! That would be easier than the clips. Either way predrilled holes are a must.

I don't use them except on furniture (and I only do furniture for family, I hate it!), they serve a purpose on some chairs and sofas, but there are metal strips made by stamping points out of a strip of metal, see the link below:

http://upholsterysupplyonline.com/categories/Tack-Strips-%2C-Metal-Tack-Strips-%2C-Chip-Boards/

Ok 51c'joe, I've found them. I don't have an unlimited supply of these but I could part with some to help a fellow enthusiast out. They're about 1/2" wide, 30" long, the nails on the side that really counts are just under 5/8". With a nail about every inch there's considerable grip strength into the hardwood we find in our old car door frames and pillars. I've used these on every complete Packard restoration I've done with zero failures. The picture with the paint stick on the nail side shows how much is left once pushed through the average panel board. I've taken door panels off on some of the cars and reinstalled them with no issues as well. I think $10 each shipped is a fair price. I'll send them pushed into some closed cell shipping foam strips for safety's sake. They are extremely sharp and have drawn a few cuss words from me now and then so consider yourself advised (!). Tally up how many you need and let me know, I've put up a "chart" of sorts to make it easy. You can email me at:

Lgt : 30"

nail : 5/8"

hgt : 11/16" (total hgt)

highlander809@gmail.com

post-73617-143142844288_thumb.jpg

post-73617-143142844293_thumb.jpg

post-73617-143142844297_thumb.jpg

post-73617-143142844301_thumb.jpg

Guest 51c8Joe

Highlander

That's what I need. I sent you an E-mail, but not sure it went out. If I don't hear from you tomorrow, I'll resend and get a PM to you with details.

Thanks,

Joe