1929 Dodge Sedan wheel

db17

Hi gentleman, I have a need for a 19in wood spoke wheel for a 1929 Dodge Brothers Standard Six Sedan. There must be someone out there with one wheel that is not needed. I would like to take it off your hands. Question, the wheels I do have, have a some wiggle between the spokes.

Are the spoke suppose to be unmovable or can they have some give? I'm in the process of stripping the old paint off now. I want to go to the natural wood color.

Please respond, Thanks everyone!!

post-80535-143142840186_thumb.jpg

I've seen some on Ebay at times...lots of times I get parts for my '29 from Myers as they have parts cars...a wheel hub was the last thing I got there. The spokes should not move or wiggle. I saw a vid for a 1904 car where the spokes wiggled and the guys did a thing I think they called "plimming" where it was a trick in the carriage trade to soak the wheels in water for 2 days....worked on the 1904 car, but they weren't going to refinish the wheels either. I know that there are people that will do new spokes as well; I'm sure some folks here know the names of the businesses that do that. I redid my '29 wheels as well and took them all apart. I know others refinish them while they are an intact unit. If you do take them apart do not sand down where the spokes come together at hub...you want to keep tightness of spokes on wheel / hub for the wheels that are in good shape.

One method of keeping spokes tight in wooden spoked wheels is to drill a 3/16 hole in the center of the spoke and pour a mixture of linseed oil and kerosene into the hole then then tap a small dowel into the hole to plug it up This is not an instant fix as the linseed kerosene mixture has to be absorbed into the wood This will only work on spokes that are loose If the ends that fit into the fellow are all worn away because the problem was not addressed previously then respoking or a replacement wheel is the way to go

I used this method on our 27 Chevrolet and also my 2249 Senior and the spokes are tight as a drum The reason they come loose is the Hickory shrinks in the hot dry heat so by adding the above brew to the spokes the moisture content is kept in the wood

A friend of mine had this problem only on one wheel He would take it off and soak it in the swimming pool for a few days before he used the car He finally got around to fixing them by the above method The blighter still hasn't returned my Hub Puller yet

Good luck with your wheel Hope I have been of some help

Ron!! Thanks for the quick reply. I will try your idea on my wheels. I'm still short one wheel. how large of a hole? 3/16 right

Thanks!!

Keiser, and Bob, thanks for the reply also. I think you said you had some old wheels that are in the way. Beggars can't be choosers, if you have any 19in wheel in any condition I will gladly take it. Please let me know.

Edited by db17 (see edit history)

Hi Keiser, Some look salvageable. Picture Number 3 looks like mine, I'm posting some pictures of my wheels with some measurements. If the measurements are

good I'll take a couple of wheels off your hands. Please pick out some good ones for me. You know what to look for when your looking for a wheel, can the threads be cleaned up, is the drum pitted beyond resurfacing, things like that. How much would you want for them. 210-683-nine-eight-six-two. I think I see a band in the back, where the tire actually mounts on I could you include that too?

post-80535-143142843425_thumb.jpg

post-80535-143142843361_thumb.jpg

post-80535-143142843388_thumb.jpg

post-80535-143142843414_thumb.jpg

Edited by db17 (see edit history)

Looks like my wheels are a completely different size. Here are the same areas with a tape measure....apparently, the Standard Six and the DA6 take different wheels altogether. Sorry I could not help.

post-37352-143142845158_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14314284517_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142845182_thumb.jpg