1917 Buick Perlman Weston Mott wheels

Guest Porter

Greetings,

I just joined the forum.

A friend of mine bought a really nice original 1917 Buick D4 - 35 Touring in fine condition with low mileage.

I stripped the wheels to bare wood and he glass beaded all the steel, natural finish on the white ash now and the steel is painted black.

Fortunately we found three new hubcaps on eBay. He needs one more and he's missing one rim wheel retainer which reads ( Perlman Weston Mott ).

Any leads would be appreciated.

He joined the Buick club and we bought the owner's maintenance repair manual.

Porter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, did you find a Perlman lug? My 1918 McLaughlin {Canadian version of the Buick 6 Cyl. touring} 6-45 uses Perlman rims and lugs. I don't have any spares , but I have found there are at least 2 different types. Also none of mine say "Perlman Weston Mott" Most of them say Perlman and have the " W M " casting marks. This is of course Weston Mott but it is not actually spelt out on the lug. I also have nearly identical lugs that say Buick rather than Perlman. My understanding is that GM used Perlman rims and hardware for 1918 only. There was quite an interesting article in The Horseless Carriage Gazette about the Perlman rim Co. I am not sure which issue but I can probably dig it out if you are interested. See My Flicker page for some Perlman photos Hope this helps! https://www.flickr.com/photos/57244155@N07/15745925100/

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Hi Porter. The Perlman ones do show up now and then at swap meets. The Buick ones are a lot more common, and except for the logo are identical. My 1922 parts car came with ones that don't say anything but are otherwise identical. I probably have a few spare Buick ones . I am in Canada so postage is a bit more expensive. probably $20.00 would cover the lug and post. Unless your friend is very picky he probably wouldn't notice the different name unless he looked for it. It will do the job until you come up with a Perlman one. Let me know.

Greg in Canada