Where is Grant

MrEarl

"Up stumps".... maybe the same as Up the creek? I'm reading it as he had some problem at work and walked off the job. But tha's jus a southern interpretation. Maybe we need a Aussie Dictionary stickie? Hopefully he reports in soon as there is no telling what rumors might this crowd conjure up about him.

He is too young to retire, unless he won the lottery

He has given up his old job, and now playing with boats (and getting paid :cool: )

Not sure you could call what he did before a real job ;)

These are for Aussie, but much the same in Kiwiland (where Grant lives)

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/bev2000/strine2.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutives_in_Australian_English

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

http://www.goingrank.com.au/glossary.html

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Huh??

upped stumps = game over, as in cricket, when you up or lift the stumps the game is finished

gone walkabout = Indigenous Australians feel the need to communicate with mother nature and go on " walkabout " which simply means they drop everything they are doing and head out to the bush for a few weeks or months. So if you are described as going walkabout it means your off on your own contemplating the meaning of life.

So Danny thinks Grant has left his previous employment and is off contemplating his next career move.

Guest BigDogDaddy

I thought maybe he cut down some trees and removed the stumps, then went walkabout. I knew what walkabout meant...I saw Crocodile Dundee. :)

He probably went walkabout while listening to Acca/Dacca !

Guest Grant Magrath

I'm still alive!!

I quit my radio announcing job after 22 years in the business back in August, went on a south Pacific cruise, and had about 9 weeks of bumming around the house trying to catch up on jobs. Then last month, I started work at the local Mercury engine dealership in town, Mr Boats, selling parts and accessories. And I love it! Always been a big boating fan. And finally, I'm in the automotive industry (sort of!). The upshot is, I don't get as much time to browse the forum as I did when I sat on my butt doing nothing in the studio. Dad's on here every day though and keeps me up to speed. He'd be on here himself, but can't type worth a damn and has no intention to learn, despite me hounding him to try. I think he considers it women's work!!! Lol!!

I do play a bit of cricket and still try and play rugby with the Woodend Golden Oldies as well. Great fun! Do you guys still play a bit of football? Do you have over 35 year old teams and play socially? Maybe you should!

I've been setting up a charity that takes care of less fortunate people's car troubles, and getting a bit more politically active as well. As far as car stuff goes, I still mess about with the Stingray. I try and encourage dad to get stuck in to the Buick as much as possible. I think it's important to do as much as you can while you can. Hence the running and sport. After all, you're dead a long time! I'm still keen to help with any issues you may have, although I recommend you email me on magrath@orcon.net.nz. This forum is THE best I've been on, and I have a HUGE amount of respect for you guys!

Cheers

Grant

Hey guys ! I'm new to the Forum only a few months but I read all these messages. THIS IS GOOD STUFF ! Super that you guys think of each other and built such good friendships. I found the Old Car People are the Best ! I would like to take this time to Thank all of You for your help with all my questions. I'm glad to know that there are still good people willing help a nother Car Guy. Thanks Again Bud

Guest Grant Magrath

Thanks Bud! This is a great forum with very cool guys, and each and every one is a mine of information. Mark, I did end up over the ditch a couple of months ago. In Brisbane, which is a beautiful city I might add. Sydney is very nice too. You guys need to come down under for a break!

Cheers

Grant

PS Touching wood and everything, but we've stopped shaking here for the time being!

Thanks Bud! This is a great forum with very cool guys, and each and every one is a mine of information. Mark, I did end up over the ditch a couple of months ago. In Brisbane, which is a beautiful city I might add. Sydney is very nice too. You guys need to come down under for a break!

Cheers

Grant

PS Touching wood and everything, but we've stopped shaking here for the time being!

and if you'd been to Melbourne you probably would have stayed ;)

Guest Grant Magrath

Nest time she goes to Grandma and Grandad's, they can get some pics with the coupe! Although she prefers the 35 Dodge...

Cheers

Grant