Changing Oil question

414TATA

A question as to how often you change the oil in your Buick.

I have driven a total of 780 miles since January 1st. Most runs are 30 to 45 miles so the engine warms up to normal temp. I will probably finish 2014 at 1,000 total miles driven.

It has an oil filter. The color of the oil turns black after a few runs so I am not changing my oil by color. The question. Do you follow one year or 1,000 miles or ??? I am curious what you guys are doing on this.

Thanks

Wayne

1941 Super 51

28,300 original miles since new.

post-78086-143142839667_thumb.jpg

The best time to change your oil AND filter is after an extended trip of many miles driven at one time. As the oil gets hot and is circulated throughout the engine, it starts to do its job and picks up all the microscopic abrasive particles, contaminants, sludge, varnish, etc., and sends it to the filter for capture. What isn't captured is held in suspension by the oil ready for you to drain out as soon as you arrive home and park the car in your garage. Draining right away while hot helps remove the maximum amount of bad stuff from your engine. If you drain the oil when the car has been sitting and the engine is cold, the contaminants have a chance to settle out on the bottom of the oil pan and contribute to accumulating sludge.

This is the procedure that I've always followed. When the intake manifold gaskets were replaced on my 1997 Riviera, at over 150,000 miles, the wide-eyed technician called me out to the work area to show me the lifter valley of my engine because he had never seen a 3800 V-6 that was so clean, even after having replaced the intake gaskets on many of those engines. Of course using Mobil 1 synthetic since day one may have helped too!

Once per year in the fall as part of my winterizing routine. I agree that it should be done after bringing the engine to full temperature. Stabilize the gas in the tank and run it again immediately after the oil change to make it run out of gas before it is put to bed for winter. Cars with wood wheels should also be put on jack stands.

Once per year in the fall as part of my winterizing routine. I agree that it should be done after bringing the engine to full temperature. Stabilize the gas in the tank and run it again immediately after the oil change to make it run out of gas before it is put to bed for winter. Cars with wood wheels should also be put on jack stands.

I AGREE WITH MARK !

It is a tough decision to take the "baby" for her last cruze in the fall then change the oil and filter, top off the tank and add the Stabil, then drive her into the trailer for hibernation. The wood wheels comment about blocking up the car also applies to bias ply tyres (for Grant and Danny).

Mike in Colorado